Clownfish sick???

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got home this morning to some concerning behavior from one of my clowns. She seems to have perched herself up against a particular rock on the bottom of the tank and is for the most part just laying there. I can use the turkey baster to blow her away from it but she sticks pretty close to the bottom and when I move away she goes right back to that same spot. I'm not really sure if she's sick or not, no spots or anything on the outside of her And nothing wrong with her poops that I have noticed recently. The other clown seems to be spending a lot of time rubbing up against her and staying very close. So I'm not sure what's going on here. I'm about to take @RJKain-777 up on his offer for some prazipro as I don't have any medication on hand and it will take a week or two to get anything useful . Anyone have any thoughts????

20210101_135721.jpg
20210101_135711.jpg

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got home this morning to some concerning behavior from one of my clowns. She seems to have perched herself up against a particular rock on the bottom of the tank and is for the most part just laying there. I can use the turkey baster to blow her away from it but she sticks pretty close to the bottom and when I move away she goes right back to that same spot. I'm not really sure if she's sick or not, no spots or anything on the outside of her And nothing wrong with her poops that I have noticed recently. The other clown seems to be spending a lot of time rubbing up against her and staying very close. So I'm not sure what's going on here. I'm about to take @RJKain-777 up on his offer for some prazipro as I don't have any medication on hand and it will take a week or two to get anything useful . Anyone have any thoughts????

20210101_135721.jpg
20210101_135711.jpg
How new is your tank.. need a little detail on that parameters things like that

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How new is your tank.. need a little detail on that parameters things like that

Tank has been cycled since end of August, These two clowns were added in Mid-October.... both are captive bred. Current parameters are good for the most part. Nitrates are around 100 which I'm making water for a WC currently to tackle that.

Screenshot_20210101-142918_Aquarium Note.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20210101_135721.jpg
20210101_135711.jpg

Any chance you can post a short video? That sometimes gives us more information than just a still pic. How is the clown's respiration rate? This is certainly a strange behavior unless this fish is moribund (unable to navigate properly due to being acutely ill) but clownfish sometimes do some weird behaviors.

Jay

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you can post a short video? That sometimes gives us more information than just a still pic. How is the clown's respiration rate? This is certainly a strange behavior unless this fish is moribund (unable to navigate properly due to being acutely ill) but clownfish sometimes do some weird behaviors.

Jay

Hey Jay,

I'm currently out trying to round up any medication that I can but I will attempt to post a video when I get home for you. Her breathing seemed slightly elevated before I left

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how to link or post a video so here's my best shot

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The times when she's pushed away from the rocks that was me gently blowing water from a turkey baster, as you can she she swims right back and rests against the rock

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a clownfish do that before for no apparent reason. Mind you, I’m no expert. I’d get the 2 meds I suggested, and do the dip. Atleast then you can say you did something.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This video shows intimidation and aggression from other clown and looks like not sick but rather afraid and intimidated.
I would remove black clown into a clean container or sump temporarily and see if behavior changes.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to pick up Malachite Green, Methylene Blue and Ruby Reef - Rally Pro

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This video shows intimidation and aggression from other clown and looks like not sick but rather afraid and intimidated.
I would remove black clown into a clean container or sump temporarily and see if behavior changes.

I can definitely do that, odd they have been together for a few months now and the aggression is just starting now, they usually sleep together.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's a second video of them, I'm about to pull the black and white one right now...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here's a second video of them, I'm about to pull the black and white one right now...

That fish will Not leave it alone.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a freshwater dip to rule out flukes?

I can't find a suitable container to be able to spot the flukes, could I do a freshwater dip and see if behavior improves??

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to get her out, he darted under the base of my aquascape and haven't seen him since...

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find a suitable container to be able to spot the flukes, could I do a freshwater dip and see if behavior improves??

I managed to get her out, he darted under the base of my aquascape and haven't seen him since...

Remind me when did this all start? Could totally be an aggression issue.

Yes on the freshwater dip. Is the fish starting to perk up since the separation? Hopefully you won't need to do much else.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 17.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 26 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 5.0%
Back