Clownfish sick???

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, she did not make it through the night :( ...

I think I messed up pulling her from the tank and "Treating" her when my focus should have been on the aggressor as @vetteguy53081 suggested. However I didn't see much chance of catching him at the time so I went with what I thought was the next best option.

Definitely a learning experience and atleast now I can recognize the signs of aggression and hopefully intervene in time in the future. I'm also thinking of a rescape so I can more easily capture fish when needed. The large shelf makes it rather difficult as I have virtually no access underneath it.

@vetteguy53081 @DeniseAndy @fishguy242 @drawman @RJKain-777 @TriggerFinger Thank you all for your help, even though it wasn't a happy outcome it is nice to see the quick responses of those willing to help out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

I think I messed up pulling her from the tank and "Treating" her when my focus should have been on the aggressor as @vetteguy53081 suggested. However I didn't see much chance of catching him at the time so I went with what I thought was the next best option.

Definitely a learning experience and atleast now I can recognize the signs of aggression and hopefully intervene in time in the future. I'm also thinking of a rescape so I can more easily capture fish when needed. The large shelf makes it rather difficult as I have virtually no access underneath it.

@vetteguy53081 @DeniseAndy @fishguy242 @drawman @RJKain-777 @TriggerFinger Thank you all for your help, even though it wasn't a happy outcome it is nice to see the quick responses of those willing to help out.
When you hear that many learn from trial and error- This is an example. If youre going to change up the scape a little, I would wait until you introduce another clown if planned , and remove the other clown into time out for 3-5 days while you introduce the new one.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry to hear it Josh!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you hear that many learn from trial and error- This is an example. If youre going to change up the scape a little, I would wait until you introduce another clown if planned , and remove the other clown into time out for 3-5 days while you introduce the new one.

Thanks for the advice Vette, holding off on the scape is to throw the current clown off his game with a new territory correct? So it gives the new one a chance to establish itself while the old one is figuring the tank out still?

And I agree, I just don't like the idea that trial and error sometimes results in the loss of an animal :(

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks for the advice Vette, holding off on the scape is to throw the current clown off his game with a new territory correct? So it gives the new one a chance to establish itself while the old one is figuring the tank out still?

And I agree, I just don't like the idea that trial and error sometimes results in the loss of an animal :(
If you knew what I lost over 33 years in this hobby, you'd be showing us pics of your 500 gallon tank. It happens. I know, no one spends money on a fish to kill it (cheaper to buy a couple lobster tails, or fillet of salmon).
Yes moving scape plays a phycological effect on the bully forcing it to be concerned with a new hiding territory than who's at the door.
I guess if someone came in and moved my bed, i'd be looking all over for it and not worried about who's visiting . . . LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always use an acclimation box.

I do have one of those for future additions, however I might need to track down a new one as my Eurobracing makes it difficult to use. However I was already planning a re-scape so It will fit in nicely when I go to add some new fish.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sid note I'm just wondering what do you have that you have all of your parameters at your finger tips like that kinda new to the saltwater thing lol

Sorry, I meant to respond to this yesterday but it's a phone app called Aquarium Note. Works pretty well for what I need it to do anyway.

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviewing this thread I didn’t see any over aggression. Most likely cause of death was high nitrates. 100 is way to high. Not sure how they even got that high if water changes were occurring. Sorry for your loss but in my opinion it had nothing to do with the other clown.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back