Clownfish swiming at top of tank

Sceh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 clowns are swimming or floating at top of the tank fisrt noticed it yesterday at morning (it is 2AM now) I did a water change after that as I planed. They were eating fine. Couple of minutes ago I just go to check on them and they were at the top of the tank floating I freaked and touched the fish and they went to swim normal to the bottom of the tank. Now I am looking at them in the light that the heater has, and they are still swimming at the top. They are now 40 days in qoarantene. I’s there something wrong? The air pump is working fine and the fish look normal in colour.

OP
OP
S

Sceh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are high, i use tap water but been using it for the past 4 waterchanges. ill do a partial water change with ro/di water.
Just as i wanted to take the picture and turned the lights on they went seiming in the midle of the tak as they usualy do...

OP
OP
S

Sceh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are high, i use tap water but been using it for the past 4 waterchanges. ill do a partial water change with ro/di water.
Just as i wanted to take the picture and turned the lights on they went seiming in the midle of the tak as they usualy do...

Temp is around 24degres (celsius)

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns are usually at the top and also sleep at the water line.

I’m sure yours are just fine...

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is nothing for them to be hosted in, they will usually just hang out in one spot or area, could be what yours are doing.

OP
OP
S

Sceh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope, I’ll just in case do a water change after i get some sleep. Thnaks for the help!

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they’re just swimming at the top when lights off, that’s normal, mine swim sideways ontop to sleep. If they do it throughout the day (lights on) then I would be concerned

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Would if you have not put something in there maybe a few things them to hide in. a Glass or cup from the kitchen Piece of PVC Pipe. It will be less stressful for them in QT.. They like to own there one Something even if its not a Coral to host them... Just keep a eye on ammonia and use prime or Amquel In your tap water before using it in the tank . i prefer amquel

Fotocha

I have nightmares of jumping fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You likely have nothing to worry about. Clown fish are just odd. Mine swim upside down when they sleep. Other times they guard and protect the heater. It’s a good thing they protect it, what i would do if it was suddenly attacked :rolleyes:

B3B646DC-359F-4046-B8DC-957C62E81A51.jpeg

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns sleep at the top next to the overflow, completely normal

Stanzo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine sleep right beside or behind 2 plastic outlet tubes

OP
OP
S

Sceh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now I woke up and checked on them they seetto swim normal. I will still change the water to ro/di just in case.

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common. Mine sleep on their side at the water line. They look like they are dying. Other times they sleep pointed straight up with their noses at the water line even poking up out of the water. The next day all is fine. Every night.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back