Clownfish swimming weird

nfazio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached video doesn’t really show the struggle very well so sharing in case anyone can pickup on something I missed. I’ll try to get a better video later today.

Both clownfish are the first added to newly cycled 94gal tank about 3 days ago. I had an issue with salinity (1.030-1.031) due to faulty refractometer which I slowly dropped to 1.024 over 48hour period.

Both clowns tend to get a little too close to my MP40 so I have that dialed way way down so the can keep a safe distance without struggling too much.

Since added, they seem to favor the top third of the tank during both day and night. I’m curious/concerned they can’t swim down easily. Not sure if the higher salinity caused some issues or if they are just being typical clowns and are feeling out their new environment?

Also, just noticed when I took the video the water looks like it has lots of sand or particles blowing around. Using RODI with zero ppm tested on output. Tank has canopy.

Salinity - 1.024 (was higher when fish added)
Temp - 80
Ammonia - was 0.0 now seems to be 0.2
Nitrite - was 0.0 now seems to be 0.05
Nitrate - 10

Anyone have any a similar situation or know if there is reason to be concerned or not. I was thinking of adding a nem but not sure if it’s too early still being a new tank and all.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns spend 70% of their days and nights hosting a powerhead and behind my HoB filter at the water surface.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not add an anemone yet. Tank should be about 9 months old first. Wait a few weeks and start with some other corals. Get used to keeping parameters stable.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are quite the characters. You show some ammonia and nitrite. Sounds like your tank isn’t cycled yet. What do you have for bio media and bacteria ?

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used an API test, the ammonia charting could be a false reading, and you actually don’t have an issue with that.

1. How did you cycle? (Bottle bacteria, shrimp, or are you using your fish to cycle?)
2. when did you start the cycle?
3. How long did you let is cycle?

if it’s not the ammonia, I wouldn’t worry about it. Clownfish are weird, curious, and they swim funny naturally. You will see what I mean...mine swam around in front of the power heads for 2 days when I first added them. Give them a week to adjust. Watch for stingy white poop in the water and coming out their butts, watch for lethargy, and watch for white dots. You’re probably just paranoid like I was LOL

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I basically through out the API kit. It’s useless I went to salifert and wow. API says zero nitrate salifert says 10. Ammonia works better as well. One thing I like about saliferts is. If there are no traces of anything the water stays clear and if it changes any colour you know you have something

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I basically through out the API kit. It’s useless I went to salifert and wow. API says zero nitrate salifert says 10. Ammonia works better as well. One thing I like about saliferts is. If there are no traces of anything the water stays clear and if it changes any colour you know you have something
It really is useless...the only reason I haven’t thrown mine out is bc I don’t like to waste money LOL! I’m going to eat those false readings until it’s all gone.

OP
OP
N

nfazio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used an API test, the ammonia charting could be a false reading, and you actually don’t have an issue with that.

1. How did you cycle? (Bottle bacteria, shrimp, or are you using your fish to cycle?)
2. when did you start the cycle?
3. How long did you let is cycle?

if it’s not the ammonia, I wouldn’t worry about it. Clownfish are weird, curious, and they swim funny naturally. You will see what I mean...mine swam around in front of the power heads for 2 days when I first added them. Give them a week to adjust. Watch for stingy white poop in the water and coming out their butts, watch for lethargy, and watch for white dots. You’re probably just paranoid like I was LOL
Thanks...
1. Cycled using Fritz Fishless fuel then the TurboZyme900
2. Initiated the cycle around Feb 10th
3. Tank was cycled 5-6 days, probably sooner as ammonia was gone quickly.

Also, used CaribSea Fiji live sand and the rockscape is Real Reef Rock mixed with the CaribSea LifeRock Arches.

I do have the API test strips which I use when lazy but typically use the Red Sea kit which is what current readings are from.

Both seem to be eating well so hopefully that’s a good sign. Mysis, Rods, and pellets depending on time of day.

Last edited:

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...

Also, used CaribSea Fiji live sand and the rockscape is Real Reef Rock mixed with the CaribSea LifeRock Arches.

I do have the API test strips which I use when lazy but typically use the Red Sea kit which is what current readings are from.

Both seem to be eating well so hopefully that’s a good sign. Mysis, Rods, and pellets depending on time of day
Thanks...

Both seem to be eating well so hopefully that’s a good sign. Mysis, Rods, and pellets depending on time of day.
Yea you should be good on ammonia. Just let them get acclimated to the new tank. They’re going to be super weird the first week.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back