What's up with my black clownfish

elamsneb

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 19, 2026
Messages
8
Reaction score
2
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up today and my juvenile clownfish has white-ish patches all over it, they aren't raised and seems pretty uniform so have appeared in the last 12-24 hours as he looked normal yesterday. The fish is eating and acting normally and my salinity, ammonia and nitrate parameters are all in check, I added a torch coral to my tank 2 days ago right near where my clowns hang out but that's the only change that's been made. Any help appreciated
 
Pic attached



Screenshot_20260926-104827.png
 
Woke up today and my juvenile clownfish has white-ish patches all over it, they aren't raised and seems pretty uniform so have appeared in the last 12-24 hours as he looked normal yesterday. The fish is eating and acting normally and my salinity, ammonia and nitrate parameters are all in check, I added a torch coral to my tank 2 days ago right near where my clowns hang out but that's the only change that's been made. Any help appreciated

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

How long have you had this clown?
You say you have two? Does the other one have any of these spots?
 
Pic attached



Screenshot_20260926-104827.png
While this could represent ich, it looks to be secondary bacterial lesions associated with brooklynella. If so, other signs you will notice are lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus. If you see this also, start with a prolonged 60 minute bath of ruby rally pro then at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
Temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

How long have you had this clown?
You say you have two? Does the other one have any of these spots?
A little over 2 weeks, I have 2 clowns and the other one seems completely fine
 
While this could represent ich, it looks to be secondary bacterial lesions associated with brooklynella. If so, other signs you will notice are lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus. If you see this also, start with a prolonged 60 minute bath of ruby rally pro then at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
Temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
The fish is currently acting completely normally, swimming around as usual and eating readily. No heavy breathing as of now, should I just monitor for the minute before treating?
 
The fish is currently acting completely normally, swimming around as usual and eating readily. No heavy breathing as of now, should I just monitor for the minute before treating?
Yes, monitor
 
A little over 2 weeks, I have 2 clowns and the other one seems completely fine

Sorry, I should have asked - did they come from the same dealer’s tank?

I’m trying to rule out ich or brooklynella versus bit marks from the other clown, or even torch coral stings….
 
Sorry, I should have asked - did they come from the same dealer’s tank?

I’m trying to rule out ich or brooklynella versus bit marks from the other clown, or even torch coral stings….
I believe they were in different tanks as they are different colour morphs but I'm not 100% sure on that
 
I believe they were in different tanks as they are different colour morphs but I'm not 100% sure on that

Well, that's not conclusive one way or another. If the second clown starts to show spots, you can guess that it is a parasite. Watch the pair closely for signs of fighting - you may not see it easily - they will stop fighting when you are in the room. One trick is to set your phone up to video the tank and then leave the room. Review the video for any chasing, or if the fish with spots tends to shy away from the other one.
 
Well, that's not conclusive one way or another. If the second clown starts to show spots, you can guess that it is a parasite. Watch the pair closely for signs of fighting - you may not see it easily - they will stop fighting when you are in the room. One trick is to set your phone up to video the tank and then leave the room. Review the video for any chasing, or if the fish with spots tends to shy away from the other one.i will keep a close eye, the one with spots is a considerable size smaller then the healthy looking one

Well, that's not conclusive one way or another. If the second clown starts to show spots, you can guess that it is a parasite. Watch the pair closely for signs of fighting - you may not see it easily - they will stop fighting when you are in the room. One trick is to set your phone up to video the tank and then leave the room. Review the video for any chasing, or if the fish with spots tends to shy away from the other one.
Okay I will keep a close eye on them, the clown in the picture is a considerable amount smaller than the other one, maybe 2/3 the size so could be a possibility.
 
Well, that's not conclusive one way or another. If the second clown starts to show spots, you can guess that it is a parasite. Watch the pair closely for signs of fighting - you may not see it easily - they will stop fighting when you are in the room. One trick is to set your phone up to video the tank and then leave the room. Review the video for any chasing, or if the fish with spots tends to shy away from the other one.
Okay, so I have just been downstairs to spy on the clowns and all the lights are off as it's 10pm here in the UK. I think the larger clown is bullying it... Seems to be bashing against it and nipping it every so often, this is the first time I've seen this behaviour as I don't normally look at what they are doing at night time. Could they still be working out who's boss? Or should I remove the smaller clown or just wait and see if the large one develops the spots too maybe?
 
Okay, so I have just been downstairs to spy on the clowns and all the lights are off as it's 10pm here in the UK. I think the larger clown is bullying it... Seems to be bashing against it and nipping it every so often, this is the first time I've seen this behaviour as I don't normally look at what they are doing at night time. Could they still be working out who's boss? Or should I remove the smaller clown or just wait and see if the large one develops the spots too maybe?

That’s a tough call - certainly they could work it out, but there will be a tipping point, where the damage to the smaller fish could become infected. You could try a acclimation chamber for the larger clown, like a “time out”, but I like to use a tank divider if possible.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new