Clownfish tank size

rhance

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 5 gal nano tank with coral in it only. Would I be able to add a clown or is my tank too small?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I think it's too small for long term care. It's probably best to stick with really small fish, that stay small, like neon or clown gobies. Clownfish (even percula and ocellaris) can quickly outgrow a tank that small, especially since most people keep them in pairs. You could probably get away with a couple of juveniles, just plan to re-home them when they get bigger.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People do successfully keep a single clown in a 5G, so it can be done. Some breeders even use that size tank (or similarly partitioned space in larger tanks) for breeding pairs. That doesn't mean it should be done - it really is small for that kind of fish.

Firefish are a colorful option for a 5G ... you'd need a good cover though.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People do successfully keep a single clown in a 5G, so it can be done. Some breeders even use that size tank (or similarly partitioned space in larger tanks) for breeding pairs. That doesn't mean it should be done - it really is small for that kind of fish.

Firefish are a colorful option for a 5G ... you'd need a good cover though.

My breeding pairs of clownfish share a cubicle tank, exactly as you describe, and the sections are only 12" x 12" x 8" (which is 5 gallons). HOWEVER, the tank has six sections, and is plumbed to a 60 gallon tank along with a 40 gallon sump, for a total volume of about 100 gallons. Most breeders use this type of set up. In other words, they don't use 5 gallon tanks each with its own filtration.

The problem with a 5 gallon tank is stability, and making sure that water parameters are within range. Evaporation alone can cause salinity issues within a few days, especially on hot days and if the tank is uncovered..

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of hi fin red banded gobies w a candy cane pistol shrimp, and a neon goby or barnacle blenny.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back