Clownfish too rough

NjClem0305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I’ve had one GBTA that seemed to be doing super well until my clownfish found it. I love the interaction between nem and clownfish but she was really rough with it. I’m pretty sure she is what killed it as it started going downhill as soon after she took to it. It was a smaller BTA so I’m thinking that also had something to do with it. I would love to have a nem but I don’t want it to get beat to death again. would a larger BTA do better?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was she rough? Was she picking at it? Not too experienced with clowns.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the clown was much larger than the nem then yes, the clown could of killed it.
how much bigger was the clown ?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all, I’ve had one GBTA that seemed to be doing super well until my clownfish found it. I love the interaction between nem and clownfish but she was really rough with it. I’m pretty sure she is what killed it as it started going downhill as soon after she took to it. It was a smaller BTA so I’m thinking that also had something to do with it. I would love to have a nem but I don’t want it to get beat to death again. would a larger BTA do better?

Unfortunately it is not uncommon for a clown to be overly aggressive and fixate on an item in the tank whether it is another clown, a shrimp, an anemone, a rock, or you hand. One strategy to counter this behavior is to create distractions by rearranging the aquascape, adding a potential mate, etcetera. Some times those nips at the nem can be helpful and encourages the nem to close its mouth and eat and the nips also let the clown get used to the nem - unfortunately this potentially beneficial action can be overdone. One question - what species of clown do you have?

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m about to serve my clown with some chips. Every time I go near my frogspawn he bites me. Hmmmm lets see you bite me when your on the grill. No I wouldn’t actually do that but clowns can be mean, and sometimes not only kill corals but other fish.

OP
OP
N

NjClem0305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys thanks for the replies. So the nem was larger than the clown, maybe just a bit smaller than double the size. My clown is an ocellaris about 2 1/2 inches long. She was doing all the normal things, nipping, sucking on the bulbs, and just thrashing around in general, but it was constant. She never really left so the poor thing didn’t get a break.

OP
OP
N

NjClem0305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m about to serve my clown with some chips. Every time I go near my frogspawn he bites me. Hmmmm lets see you bite me when your on the grill. No I wouldn’t actually do that but clowns can be mean, and sometimes not only kill corals but other fish.
Haha, I hope you get more than a couple bites outta him.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I hope you get more than a couple bites outta him.

Actually I was gonna blender drop him with some raspberry jam and serve him with toast instead. He will have more to spread then actually serving size. (Yes I’m about to throw up right now lol), but he bit me again so now I spray him w water and he stays away from me. But if I’m not looking he will sure bite meand he is fast.

Back