Clownfish trying to host my... foxface? what?

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, maybe they're not trying to host another fish, but I had to get your attention somehow.

The onespot foxface is new to the tank about 3 weeks ago. The clownfish I've had for exactly 5 years yesterday (thanks Facebook memories!)

My clowns used to just hang out around a powerhead in the corner of my 75 gallon, and only really moved out of there for food. Since upgrading to a 90 cube 2 months ago, they don't seem to hang out anywhere specific. Sometimes in the front, the middle, sometimes behind the rocks. The foxface prefers one particular overhang, which is nowhere near where the clowns hang out typically, and it's not at all near where they sleep in the back corner.

Since adding the one-spot, they seem to mostly hang around (aka harass) the foxface. I've never caught them in the act, but can only presume there's some attempt at agression going on. When they leave the foxface alone, he's happily yellow, and wanders about picking at the rocks. Whenever the clowns come near, he immediately greys out and flashes his spines. If they hang around too long or get too close, he'll turn sideways or backwards and attempt a strike with his spines. No one seem to have any marks or injuries.

No guarantees if I were to add an anemone to the tank that the clowns would set up home, but it's worth considering.

I'm wondering if the behaviours will just calm down eventually?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back