Pyramid Butterfly with One-Spot Foxface

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a few weeks ago my tomini tang passed away after many years of service in my Reefer 350. He was the main piscine source of algae control, and I would like to bring in a new fish to take on his responsibilities.

I could of course get a new tomini or another species of bristletooth tang, but I always enjoy trying out new fish when a vacancy opens up. I'm interested in a one-spot foxface, but I am a little worried about how it would behave with another fish in my tank - if you read the title, I'm sure you've guessed that it's a pyramid butterfly. I've read that foxfaces tend to be peaceful unless there's a similar fish in the tank. And like the foxface, the pyramid is black, white and yellow.

Obviously I can tell the difference, but the bigger question is, can the foxface? For anyone who has had this specific situation (or a similar one), did the foxface cause problems when there was a similar but not conspecific fish?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface is peaceful, they are nervous and skitty, Ive never seen mine be aggressive. Or the one had before my current one. However they get LARGE and FAST. Mine went from a 1 inch little guy to a 5-6 inch fish in a mater of months, I dont recommend one in your tank size, if I remember right that model has a 72 gallon display

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a few weeks ago my tomini tang passed away after many years of service in my Reefer 350. He was the main piscine source of algae control, and I would like to bring in a new fish to take on his responsibilities.

I could of course get a new tomini or another species of bristletooth tang, but I always enjoy trying out new fish when a vacancy opens up. I'm interested in a one-spot foxface, but I am a little worried about how it would behave with another fish in my tank - if you read the title, I'm sure you've guessed that it's a pyramid butterfly. I've read that foxfaces tend to be peaceful unless there's a similar fish in the tank. And like the foxface, the pyramid is black, white and yellow.

Obviously I can tell the difference, but the bigger question is, can the foxface? For anyone who has had this specific situation (or a similar one), did the foxface cause problems when there was a similar but not conspecific fish?
I’ve had a fox face and a pyramid butterfly in the same tank. They completely ignored each other. I see more stand offs with my tangs and normally the fox face just flashes his spines and everyone goes back to doing what they were.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a fox face and a pyramid butterfly in the same tank. They completely ignored each other. I see more stand offs with my tangs and normally the fox face just flashes his spines and everyone goes back to doing what they were.
Lol mine is too scared to even do that and he is my biggest fish!

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol mine is too scared to even do that and he is my biggest fish!
Mine was super skittish in my 55 gallon but as soon as I moved him into my 210 he’s really come into his own. My gem tang thinks he’s the boss of the tank and I guess for the most part he is but the fox face makes him think twice. He used to be so skittish that I couldn’t come near the tank or he would camouflage and look more like a starfish than a fox face with all his spikes out. I love him to bits. My other fox face was pretty awesome too. Much more brazen though!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not kept those 2 together.

I have not seen a foxface act aggressively. They definitely can defend themselves by pointing dorsal spines at another fish. Butterflies are usually very peaceful too.

I would think those 2 would be okay together.

A reefer 350 is on the small side for a foxface, FYI. You could argue for or against that decision.

OP
OP
Biokabe

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update for anyone who comes across this thread later on -

Went to my LFS yesterday and they had a beautiful pair of one-spot foxfaces. After seeing them in person, I... agreed with anyone who thought that a Reefer 350 would be a bit small for one. Both of them were close to fully grown, and I could easily see them feeling cramped in my tank. Multiple sites say that a 70g tank is enough for them but I really have to question that.

I'll probably replace the Tomini with another smaller Ctenochaetus tang - either another Tomini, a blue-eye or a yellow-eye.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back