Clownfish Turning White Heavy Breathing

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really concerned here, all other tank inhabitants are good, water parameters are the usual. All of the sudden within the last hour one of my clowns has gone from a vivid orange to a pale orange and has started breathing heavily on the bottom. It was eating fine a few hours ago and now it looks like it’s on the brink of death. Anybody have any ideas on what to do?

image.jpg

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mucus production is a natural reaction to many pathogens so it doesn't necessarily mean anything specifc. Heavily breathing and quick onset definitely point most to brook but the fish seems too far gone. You can try a fresh water dip to relieve symptoms until an expert can reply.
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, this fish is close to death. The main concern now is if it has something contagious. Could you have missed any early symptoms like rapid breathing?
If not, and it went from 100% normal to this in a few hours, you are looking at something that causes pet acute stress; burst blood vessel, gravel stuck in its mouth, something along those lines.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks I appreciate it.
Fish is too far in distress to attempt a freshwater dip. Mucus production on a clown in particular notates Brooklynella. See if the following apply:
At the onset, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. Very quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable symptom of Brooklynella is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections.

OP
OP
BamboozleBean

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, this fish is close to death. The main concern now is if it has something contagious. Could you have missed any early symptoms like rapid breathing?
If not, and it went from 100% normal to this in a few hours, you are looking at something that causes pet acute stress; burst blood vessel, gravel stuck in its mouth, something along those lines.
Jay
I usually get a good look at them once a day, debris unlikely as it’s a barebottom tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back