Clownfish white eye caps?

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 2 clowns in my 20 gallon frag tank and then have been good but I noticed these white eye caps over the small guy and the two aren’t hanging out together. Bacterial? Genetic? Something to worry about. Almost looks like once a lizard sheds its skin.
IMG_3198.jpeg
IMG_3197.jpeg
IMG_3196.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be post injury or an infection from an injury - have you noticed any aggression from the other clown.
Did this pop up fast or slowly develop?

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be post injury or an infection from an injury - have you noticed any aggression from the other clown.
Did this pop up fast or slowly develop?
I'd say I noticed maybe 3 days ago and it's getting worse. Or I'm noticing it more and worrying more. I notice dominance for sure but the one with the white eye caps is the smaller one. But now the small one is staying on the far side of the tank away from the nems that they usually host. I was thinking it could maybe be flukes and planned on doing a freshwater dip tonight to help him. I also have a 20-gal QT with like 0.5ppm of copper in it, with similar water parameters I could swap him to if it is aggression.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes are possible - a fw dip can help with temporary relief if it is as well as for identification.
Prazi would be the treatment of choice in that case.
For antibiotics, you can try erythromycin or kanamycin in a qt.
It does sound like there’s aggression going on, so separating and treating for a bacterial infection would be the first thing I’d try.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is his after a 4 min freshwater dip in rodi water with an air stone on it for 30 mins prior and same temp, the eyes look better not as white but still cloudy. As for the water I didn’t notice anything in it like a work or fluke, we’ll I’m not sure what I’m looking for so let me scour the webs real quick and be back.

Attachments

• IMG_3206.mov
    37.6 MB
OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are the little dots on the bottom of a pail I saw in another post I did not have them. My question is would it be better to split them or keep them together? What if my other clown has what he has should I treat them both? Whatever I am supposed to treat them with is it reef safe?

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He still has an appetite and goes after food, But I do have a 20-gal hospital tank on stand-by for emergencies I could put him in. Now if I do what is best to treat him with? Is Quazi the best if it isn't flukes? Will it hurt him if he doesn't have flukes? Lots of questions I'm sorry but this is my girlfriend's only fish she picked out and if it dies I may too... :p

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Only 2 clowns in my 20 gallon frag tank and then have been good but I noticed these white eye caps over the small guy and the two aren’t hanging out together. Bacterial? Genetic? Something to worry about. Almost looks like once a lizard sheds its skin.
IMG_3198.jpeg
IMG_3197.jpeg
IMG_3196.jpeg
This appears to be bacterial and may have stemmed from water quality issue, bright light or internal eye fluke which may die off on its own
Assure ammonia and Ph are not elevated

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This appears to be bacterial and may have stemmed from water quality issue, bright light or internal eye fluke which may die off on its own
Assure ammonia and Ph are not elevated
I did a full water test today on the tank and pH is 7.9, ammonia is 0 and as for the lights it could be I haven't thought about that. I have had the two clowns for about 2 months and this has just occurred after I added an extra light to the tank. I have two of these lights (https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...zbMTmZtpNM9yzzcLDLBoCZCIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds) on a 20 gallon long and its about 4-5in from the surface so maybe it's to much light for a 20 gallon?

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I could just only have on the blues? The thing is with the light upgrade the corals are doing okay, but I do not have a par meter to test, and thinking of it ever since I swapped my nems in the tank have started walking around and looking dull so maybe it to much light?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did a full water test today on the tank and pH is 7.9, ammonia is 0 and as for the lights it could be I haven't thought about that. I have had the two clowns for about 2 months and this has just occurred after I added an extra light to the tank. I have two of these lights (https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/coralife-marine-aquarium-clip-on-led-fixture-2920425?store_code=672&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla_with_promotionlocal&cm_mmc=PSH|GGL|CCY|CCO|PM|0|kUMWcWiLY5b1EHQjK6kSR6|||0|0|||18145199970&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAlcyuBhBnEiwAOGZ2S5r6v2pU2VkxYmvl-TUICldsgIEuRw0_eipzbMTmZtpNM9yzzcLDLBoCZCIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds) on a 20 gallon long and its about 4-5in from the surface so maybe it's to much light for a 20 gallon?
Corallife light is a lower wattage and may or may not be a contributor but thats a lot of light for this size tank. How are you testing the water?.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corallife light is a lower wattage and may or may not be a contributor but thats a lot of light for this size tank. How are you testing the water?.
API for (nitrite nitrate pH ammonia) Salfert (Alk, Calcium mag and phosphate)
Doing 5 gallon water changes every sunday
And just got rock in it with a small hang-on back filter with floss I swap out every Sunday as well
and a small maybe 65GPH water skimmer for some surface agitation and water movement, only due to a 525GPH power head I got was WAY to much for the tank and I cant decide on something smaller, but all the corals are happy so I don't wanna change it right now.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
API for (nitrite nitrate pH ammonia) Salfert (Alk, Calcium mag and phosphate)
Doing 5 gallon water changes every sunday
And just got rock in it with a small hang-on back filter with floss I swap out every Sunday as well
and a small maybe 65GPH water skimmer for some surface agitation and water movement, only due to a 525GPH power head I got was WAY to much for the tank and I cant decide on something smaller, but all the corals are happy so I don't wanna change it right now.
As an assurance, take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back