Clownfish won’t leave bottom corner

njreejer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added these 2 clowns in an hour ago & they haven’t moved from this corner behind the rock work. Just wanted to ask if this was normal? I’m assuming they’re kinda shy. At first it looked like they were fighting against the flow to swim which made me think the flow was too high but I turned off my pumps and they still remained there

Snedabyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first fish was a bonded pair of Picasso clowns and they went to the top back corner and never left and it’s been months. Mine like to lay right at the surface, so I had to buy a lid.

OP
OP
N

njreejer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine to me. Are you seeing any heavy breathing? Not eating?
I turned off the pumps & tried feeding them some flakes but they didn’t eat. Don’t notice any heavy breathing tho. They just seem to be swimming in place around that little area

OP
OP
N

njreejer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first fish was a bonded pair of Picasso clowns and they went to the top back corner and never left and it’s been months. Mine like to lay right at the surface, so I had to buy a lid.
I hope mine didn’t pick that spot in the back lol can’t even see them

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks normal to me. My clown did that for a month. After I added a gigantea anemone, he immediately went in and had stayed there since

OP
OP
N

njreejer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks normal to me. My clown did that for a month. After I added a gigantea anemone, he immediately went in and had stayed there since
Did they leave that area at all? Mine literally stay behind that rock & haven’t explored the rest of the tank at all. But then again, it’s only been a few hours so can’t really say much yet. I guess I’ll wait & see, hopefully they start moving around a little bit

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair of clownfish has stayed at the bottom corner of my tank for 5 months now since I set up the tank. I think they've just considered the corner as home. They'll occasionally wander off looking for pods and come to the surface for food, but they spend 95% of the time in that corner :/

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal. They may end up sleeping at the top, again normal. They will also become territorial when they mature and start paying eggs. Years away from now though. Try frozen or pellet food. Give them time to settle. Since your tank looks really new keep an eye on ammonia spikes and be ready to do water changes or add Prime if that happens. Good luck, my first pair is around 9 years old or 10. I forget. My other pair is just over 2 and still juveniles. Separate tanks!

Shelley

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they leave that area at all? Mine literally stay behind that rock & haven’t explored the rest of the tank at all. But then again, it’s only been a few hours so can’t really say much yet. I guess I’ll wait & see, hopefully they start moving around a little bit
They only came out when I fed or added an anemone. You could try to add anemone to see if that will help.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are perfectly happy occupying a small area. Juveniles often hang out at the top. All very normal. Gasping at the top is not normal. Beautiful pair you have. ;Cat

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine liked some of my corals early on. Give them time to get settled and grow. They are much nicer when young. So enjoy. Never rush a purchase. They can do fine without an anemone.

Shelley

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, clowns are clowns. They do random things and you will time and again say... "Is that normal?"

My clowns beat another clown into the top corner and I had to rehome it, hid in a cave for days, slept upside down in a top corner, had a strange attraction to my magnetic pumps, rubbed their gills on the sand bed and rocks, starting trying to eat the live rock, didn't give one crap about 3 different anemones, pick on each other daily, eat a TON of mysis shrimp (Rod's Complete Reef and Plankton are great), and actually laid against the mesh intake for the pump for an hour and let the pump do all the work..... seriously they did that... a few different times.. Scared the s*** out of me.

Good lookin' pair! They'll take their time adjusting.

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added these 2 clowns in an hour ago & they haven’t moved from this corner behind the rock work. Just wanted to ask if this was normal? I’m assuming they’re kinda shy. At first it looked like they were fighting against the flow to swim which made me think the flow was too high but I turned off my pumps and they still remained there

Mine are actually both Black Ice clowns.. Look almost identical to yours. lol

OP
OP
N

njreejer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the reassurance that everything’s fine & that they can be unpredictable. Will be sure not to worry over behaviors of theirs too much. Gonna buy some pellet food in the morning & hopefully they eat that since they ignored the flake food. Holding off on an anemone at the moment since my tank is newly cycled

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the reassurance that everything’s fine & that they can be unpredictable. Will be sure not to worry over behaviors of theirs too much. Gonna buy some pellet food in the morning & hopefully they eat that since they ignored the flake food. Holding off on an anemone at the moment since my tank is newly cycled
I'd strongly suggest buying frozen food. Mysis shrimp, clams, scallop, oyster, squid, fish eggs + some vegetarian supplements. Your entire tank will hugely benefit from a complete diet. I purchased 2 packs of Rod's Complete Reef and 2 packs of Rod's Pacific Plankton and judging from the past month of feeding, the $100 purchase will last about 5-6 months. The clowns LOVE it. I can pinch some of the food between my fingers and lower it into the tank.. every fish hurries over and starts taking pieces from me. We put so much time, effort, and $ into our reefs, having some fish trust/bonding is nice too :)

Isiah1820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One of mine does that and wondered was it normal. My other clown will come down and explore the tank way more but still sleeps at the top. Weird would rather see them swim around lol.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back