Clownfish won't eat

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have a regular ocellaris clown that will not eat. When I first got him, he took a while to acclimate, but as soon as he finally adjusted he ate like a pig. Then I saw a fluke on his eye, so I QTed him. After finishing QT process, I did a final fw dip just to make sure I got rid of the flukes. No flukes shown, he is now fluke free. However, it's been two weeks since he has eaten. He may eat very small particle size mysis, but not often. Doesn't eat LRS, doesn't eat my mandarin food blend, doesn't eat pellets or flakes. I used selcon and garlic, still no luck. He's getting pretty skinny. Is there a way to entice him to eat?

Last edited:

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have a regular ocellaris clown that will not eat. When I first got him, he took a while to acclimate, but as soon as he finally adjusted he ate like a pig. Then I saw a fluke on his eye, so I QTed him. After finishing QT process, I did a final fw dip just to make sure I got rid of the flukes. No flukes shown, he is now fluke free. However, it's been two weeks since he has eaten. He may eat very small particle size mysis, but not often. Doesn't eat LRS, doesn't eat my mandarin food blend, doesn't eat pellets. I used selcon and garlic, still no luck. He's getting pretty skinny. Is there a way to entice him to eat?
Have you tried flakes? My clownfish always eat flakes.

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used OO Kelp flakes, Cobalt Ultra Color Premium, and Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes. Never really liked flakes anyways.

Is he back in the main tank yet?

Have you tried live worms I heard some people have been success with them or your clown might eat raw shrimp from the grocery store.

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is back in the DT after I finish QTing him for the second time.

I tried live blackworms that I feed my freshwater fish, dragonets, and CBBs. Didn't even look at them.

I'll try the raw shrimp, but I don't think it would be that much different than trying LRS, which is also ignored. Still worth the shot tho.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish inhales hikari seaweed extreme pellets, maybe try that?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious though, when you QT'ed did u threat for internal parasites also, could also be the reason why he isn't eating. If you can get him to eat then u could soak the food in meds.

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so none of the suggestions worked. However, I have solved the case.

I'm guessing my clownfish was suffering from an osmotic imbalance from the fw dip. So what did I do? I fw dipped him again. Just in case he didn't have flukes.

Then, I held him in front of a wavemaker, so that water can pass through and "flush out" his system to make him osmotically balanced, if that's a term.

He went back to normal in a few days. He still doesn't really eat frozen, but he chows down on flakes and pellets. At least it's a sign of improvement.

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so none of the suggestions worked. However, I have solved the case.

I'm guessing my clownfish was suffering from an osmotic imbalance from the fw dip. So what did I do? I fw dipped him again. Just in case he didn't have flukes.

Then, I held him in front of a wavemaker, so that water can pass through and "flush out" his system to make him osmotically balanced, if that's a term.

He went back to normal in a few days. He still doesn't really eat frozen, but he chows down on flakes and pellets. At least it's a sign of improvement.
Well that's a relief for you clown Nice Job! ;)

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so for the past week, he isn't eating again. I thought I had it in the bag, but apparently not. He's skinny to the point where I can see his rib cage. I know he doesn't have any parasites because when he was eating, no stringy poop. I tried all of the suggestions above, still doesn't work. Is it just one of those fish that are destined to die? I don't want it to be like that.

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish Are kind of picky. I use rods food so there’s a bunch of different things together, so they always enjoy something

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty much tried every food possible, no luck. Unless high phosphates makes fish lose appetite, which I doubt since everyone is eating, I can't really find out why he's not eating all of a sudden.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 165 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back