Clowning Around - 2 New Clowns?

VegasSalt

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 12, 2019
Messages
13
Reaction score
8
What state or country do you live in
Nevada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 80 gallon reef up and running and I have 1 Gladiator clown, 1 firefish, 1 6 line wrasse, 3 chromis and a cleaner shrimp...pretty empty...and various inverts and corals.

A friend of mine has 2 Galaxy clowns in his 70 that he wants to get rid of. They have been in his tank as the only two fish (with two anemones) for the last year or so and have become VERY aggressive. If you put you hand anywhere in his tank they come at you. He wants them gone.

I had heard (or read) that this is normal as they are the only fish in the tank and adding them to an existing tank would be OK, but you can't believe everything you read.

My question is this, if he takes my one clown, can I safely put his two in my tank with my existing fish? Will their aggression level decline? What are the concerns?
 
I have a 80 gallon reef up and running and I have 1 Gladiator clown, 1 firefish, 1 6 line wrasse, 3 chromis and a cleaner shrimp...pretty empty...and various inverts and corals.

A friend of mine has 2 Galaxy clowns in his 70 that he wants to get rid of. They have been in his tank as the only two fish (with two anemones) for the last year or so and have become VERY aggressive. If you put you hand anywhere in his tank they come at you. He wants them gone.

I had heard (or read) that this is normal as they are the only fish in the tank and adding them to an existing tank would be OK, but you can't believe everything you read.

My question is this, if he takes my one clown, can I safely put his two in my tank with my existing fish? Will their aggression level decline? What are the concerns?

Clownfish are . . . well, clownfish. That includes the way that they are wired for dominance and aggression that extends to the way they determine the sex of each fish. The other fish probably will be fine and you probably will be able to train them not to attack your hand by hand feeding them, however realize with clowns that there are no guarantees. Although some people may pass, I personally would take the risk for a clarkii pair with gorgeous patterns.
 
Thanks!
Clownfish are . . . well, clownfish. That includes the way that they are wired for dominance and aggression that extends to the way they determine the sex of each fish. The other fish probably will be fine and you probably will be able to train them not to attack your hand by hand feeding them, however realize with clowns that there are no guarantees. Although some people may pass, I personally would take the risk for a clarkii pair with gorgeous patterns.
thanks. I’ll let you know how it goes
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new