Clowning Around - 2 New Clowns?

VegasSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 80 gallon reef up and running and I have 1 Gladiator clown, 1 firefish, 1 6 line wrasse, 3 chromis and a cleaner shrimp...pretty empty...and various inverts and corals.

A friend of mine has 2 Galaxy clowns in his 70 that he wants to get rid of. They have been in his tank as the only two fish (with two anemones) for the last year or so and have become VERY aggressive. If you put you hand anywhere in his tank they come at you. He wants them gone.

I had heard (or read) that this is normal as they are the only fish in the tank and adding them to an existing tank would be OK, but you can't believe everything you read.

My question is this, if he takes my one clown, can I safely put his two in my tank with my existing fish? Will their aggression level decline? What are the concerns?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 80 gallon reef up and running and I have 1 Gladiator clown, 1 firefish, 1 6 line wrasse, 3 chromis and a cleaner shrimp...pretty empty...and various inverts and corals.

A friend of mine has 2 Galaxy clowns in his 70 that he wants to get rid of. They have been in his tank as the only two fish (with two anemones) for the last year or so and have become VERY aggressive. If you put you hand anywhere in his tank they come at you. He wants them gone.

I had heard (or read) that this is normal as they are the only fish in the tank and adding them to an existing tank would be OK, but you can't believe everything you read.

My question is this, if he takes my one clown, can I safely put his two in my tank with my existing fish? Will their aggression level decline? What are the concerns?

Clownfish are . . . well, clownfish. That includes the way that they are wired for dominance and aggression that extends to the way they determine the sex of each fish. The other fish probably will be fine and you probably will be able to train them not to attack your hand by hand feeding them, however realize with clowns that there are no guarantees. Although some people may pass, I personally would take the risk for a clarkii pair with gorgeous patterns.

OP
OP
V

VegasSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
Clownfish are . . . well, clownfish. That includes the way that they are wired for dominance and aggression that extends to the way they determine the sex of each fish. The other fish probably will be fine and you probably will be able to train them not to attack your hand by hand feeding them, however realize with clowns that there are no guarantees. Although some people may pass, I personally would take the risk for a clarkii pair with gorgeous patterns.
thanks. I’ll let you know how it goes

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back