Clowns always fighting at feeding time

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 midnight clowns bought as a pair about 10 months ago. I can watch them on the camera and they seem fine, but whenever I walk in the room they seem like they start fighting. Sometimes they start splashing water out, etc.

Neither one is the aggressor, it's equal opportunity, because there is no hiding. They go back and forth. Both are eating, they eat then start fighting again. Neither has any signs of physical trauma like torn fins.

Is this normal behavior? They have a BTA that they don't care about. It doesn't really bother me, but I don't want anyone getting killed.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above, is one bigger than the other because if not them they may be trying to set the pecking order.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one is female she will dictate how much or little the male is allowed to eat. Clowns are crazy like that. lol

It is actually part of the reason the male stays smaller.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this? I'm busy at work right now (obviously, lol). I'll have to notice when I get home.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all clowns show the wiggle. If there aren't frayed fins a little aggression is normal.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With them being the only 2 clowns. They are not looking to take a 3rd off the ladder by bullying. So that shaking is part of their dance so to speak for their display as to which is to become female or stay male. Looks normal to me.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Typical clown behavior. I give the female the larger piece and while she is trying to break it down and digest it, the males get the smaller pieces and not cheated

Denniswbliss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female dictates what when and how my Male feeds. She's let's say is the boss and dosen't for one sec take his s%$t. She's so aggressive that I always tell myself that I would divorce her and leave her butt in a sec. I quess that's how nature is In the wild. So i cheat and when it's feeding time i always feed in a different area so he can snatch a little for himself.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a quick video of what I am talking about. I guess they are still feeling each other out.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 98 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 104 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.8%
Back