Clowns are constantly laying eggs

Smotz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're almost begging me to breed. I've read that it is a lot of trouble.
Every now and then they lay eggs on a removable rock.
Can I get some opinions? Should I try?

christ1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would, I had a pair for a couple years and they still have not laid any eggs. Would be a fun try if not for sh**s and giggles

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If mine were breeding I would not attempt to raise them:
1. It entails more work and as much as I enjoy it I already spend enough time on this hobby.
2. What to do with a ton of baby clownfish: I suppose I could sell them to my LFS or privately, but I would then feel morally responsible for the fate of each little fish.
3. Any critter spawning is just free food for my system.
Good luck whatever you decide to do!!

OP
OP
Smotz

Smotz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If mine were breeding I would not attempt to raise them:
1. It entails more work and as much as I enjoy it I already spend enough time on this hobby.
2. What to do with a ton of baby clownfish: I suppose I could sell them to my LFS or privately, but I would then feel morally responsible for the fate of each little fish.
3. Any critter spawning is just free food for my system.
Good luck whatever you decide to do!!

These are the exact reasons I have not done it yet.

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the exact reasons I have not done it yet.
Ah, ya know you want to do it so you might as well start getting set up. Mine are laying about every 14 days. I'm just waiting till after Christmas then it's baby time!

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you from experience it is a lot of work. I did it 3 or 4 times about 10 years ago with my gold stripe maroons. Very rewarding, (not monetarily) but the first couple of weeks are hell. It took several times before I got it even sort of right. The most I ever raised out of one batch was about 40. Get your hands on the book Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson if you are serious about it, and good luck!

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you from experience it is a lot of work. I did it 3 or 4 times about 10 years ago with my gold stripe maroons. Very rewarding, (not monetarily) but the first couple of weeks are hell. It took several times before I got it even sort of right. The most I ever raised out of one batch was about 40. Get your hands on the book Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson if you are serious about it, and good luck!
I have that book as well. Best I've found for Clowns and Nems.

OP
OP
Smotz

Smotz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not doing it - waaayyy too much trouble! Rotifiers, Phyto, bah!

Can't I just buy the Rotifiers? Everything I read says I need to culture & breed them. Jeez..

Last edited:

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my rotifers from Carolina Clownfish. Going to learn them first. I did order a bottle of decapsulated brine shrimp. They hatch in a day at room temp. Not doing nano. Ordered RGComplete.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If mine had babies i would for sure try and raise them, and if it worked out i would set up a separate tank that would be a clownfish/anemone tank like BRS has. Being all the clowns would be brothers and sisters you would have the best chances of them living together. To see like 30-40 clowns all in one small group would be awesome.

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it was a trade situation. Livestock for livestock. Nowhere near what I had invested in supplies and time. That being said I am glad I did it. I never went into it to make money. I did it to see if I could, and to have at least a few of the babies make it to adulthood, like in the wild. I kept one and just lost him this spring when a heater failed, he was 10.
nano%20tank%202012

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%

Back