Clowns are strange

notMrDurden

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 9, 2022
Messages
109
Reaction score
99
Location
Houston
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have two clowns that I got about a month and a half ago... An Ocellaris (Nemo) and a Wyoming White (Steve). And before you ask, they're just roommates.

The past few nights ol Steve (the bigger of the two) has been dancing around this zoa frag. Nemo is getting close, but not too close.. he gets run off if he lingers too long. Now I don't know a whole lot about these guys, because I'm relatively new to the saltwater side of aquariums... But it's he trying to host this zoa? And what are the chances he is about to make the big swap?

Link below because I couldn't attach a video

https://youtube.com/shorts/8MPKh9CrXaA?feature=share
 
She’s certainly chosen her territory! What’s the tank size/flow? I only ask because the smaller common clown looks like it’s being blown about a bit
 
She’s certainly chosen her territory! What’s the tank size/flow? I only ask because the smaller common clown looks like it’s being blown about a bit
No matter what way I move the powerhead, he wants to be RIGHT in the wash.... To the point that when it's off, he routinely jumps in front of the return. The powerhead is a bit high for this 17 gallon tank, but it's in there after my dino explosion last week and is only on a few minutes every hour.
 
No matter what way I move the powerhead, he wants to be RIGHT in the wash.... To the point that when it's off, he routinely jumps in front of the return. The powerhead is a bit high for this 17 gallon tank, but it's in there after my dino explosion last week and is only on a few minutes every hour.
Clownfish are fish that are just terribly designed for swimming LOL. He'll get better as he grows, just gotta be careful as they're small - turning the pumps off for feeding to make sure he can get some food is always helpful
 
Try angling the pumps toward the surface for indirect flow and surface agitation. Also if Steve is the one controlling the territory then it's most likely Stephanie, or will be soon. As far as the zoas hosting a clown, that's not how it works. She's just claiming a territory. When an anemone hosts a clown, it's the anemones decision and its done as a partnership. The anemone provides safety and the clown provides food.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new