Clowns likely spawned, first time and I can’t see their spot...

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For several weeks my two clowns have been “flirting”. The female was chasing the male around, somewhat aggressively, and doing their little twitch think (we called it twerking). When I went to feed them last night I couldn’t find the male which worried me. My husband found him, tucked away in a little cave in the live rock near the sand. They have been spending all of their time there last night and this morning but I don’t have visibility to the area with the way the tank and rocks are positioned. Suggestions for monitoring this situation? Do I move the rocks or should I let it be and throw a clay pot in there after this batch?

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you prepared to raise clowns? Have you done the necessary reading?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds more like pairing to me. Need to know more info. Is the male in the spot he was cleaning with his mouth for the last week or two. How old are the clowns. Is the female near by because even they will stay real close and defend as well.

OP
OP
yourmom

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you prepared to raise clowns? Have you done the necessary reading?
I am not prepared, but I want to be ready if it happens so I can give them their best chance. I researched a little last night, still have a lot to learn.

OP
OP
yourmom

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds more like pairing to me. Need to know more info. Is the male in the spot he was cleaning with his mouth for the last week or two. How old are the clowns. Is the female near by because even they will stay real close and defend as well.
He hasn’t been there that long- really just 24 hours. She is going into the area as well but not spending as much time there as he is. Do they typically clean the area for that long? It’s difficult to see the area because of where it is positioned, and it is a base rock in a pyramid of sorts so I don’t want to move anything around if it isn’t necessary.

OP
OP
yourmom

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old are the clowns
They weren’t small when we got them, we have had them for 6-7 months. Not sure of their age but the female is a pretty good size (3”?) and male is maybe 1/2” smaller.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine typically both clean the area together for around a week. You’ll know if it’s eggs if they lay again in around 15 days. Won’t be the same spot most likely they will have two or three spots they alternate between.

OP
OP
yourmom

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really sad to report that the little guy wasn't cleaning the area or protecting any eggs, he was hiding from the female. Her pursuits were relentless, got really aggressive and he was in terrible shape Saturday night. I took him out of the tank and put him in my 20, but he didn't make it through the night. I'm very upset, this is the second time I've had a female clown become this aggressive with her partner. I can't look at her anymore :( I'm returning her to my LFS. Maybe getting a solo clown eventually... I can't do this again.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really sorry about that. I've never heard of pairs behaving that way. I would try again, but make sure to get a known pair or a juvenile and an adult.

OP
OP
yourmom

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really sorry about that. I've never heard of pairs behaving that way. I would try again, but make sure to get a known pair or a juvenile and an adult.
My first pair did fine for about a year but the smaller clown jumped. It was devastating. Then the remaining female was aggressive with the new addition. Rather than trying another new fish for her, I returned both of them and started fresh with these two. They were different sizes so I thought they would be okay.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back