Clowns not hosting sebae

90gallonreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a HUGE sebae anemone in my 20G cube ish tank and it is not being hosted yet. That thing has been there for more than 2 months. The clowns see it, and they get really really close but they never touched it for a long time. I've seen their faces sometimes touch it for a second. As well as their tail fin. I have a small porcelain in it. Is that the reason why? The crab was only in the tank for 2 weeks. Help would be great. Thanks

Tonysi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sebae(crispa and malu) will not host ocellaris clowns, they aren't their natural host. Gigs, mags, and haddoni are their natural hosts and people have success with bubble tips as well although they aren't their natural host. Clarkii clowns would be hosted by either a crispa or malu though.

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming they are captive bred as well....they may never host without help. You can use a clear tube and place the end at the anemone and the fish in the other end....as they go down the tube they will get used to the anemone and its stings and will generally host them....you can also put all 3 in a breeding/isolation box and that sometimes works too. Other than that...its patience and sometimes it never happens at all.

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sebae(crispa and malu) will not host ocellaris clowns, they aren't their natural host. Gigs, mags, and haddoni are their natural hosts and people have success with bubble tips as well although they aren't their natural host. Clarkii clowns would be hosted by either a crispa or malu though.
This is debated...a quick google search will also give you sebae as a host....

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk bit it seems hot or miss, I have a hybrid clown, and 2 bta, the dang thing will go to and hang out on my leather, my large hairy mushrooms,my power head and even my large clam, but for the life of me it won't go near either BTA'S ! GO FIGURE !!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back