Clowns possibly getting ready?

KieAnderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my tank about 5 weeks ago now and moved my clowns over from a Boyu Tl450 to a Red Sea Max Nano.

My frostbite clown (female) is about 3 and half years old and my ocerlleris clown (male) is around 1year old.

Since moving tanks, they have cleaned out a large shell, keep going into it together and shaking etc and the Male has become very protective of the clean area I watched him attack a starfish, pick it up and move it the other day.

They have never had a clutch of eggs before and if they were to I would be tempted to try and raise the fry (I have read pickles guide)

Does it sound like eggs could be imminent? Or is it just literally a guessing game?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It sounds like they are practicing and doing what they are designed to do. I'm not sure that I would go so far as to use the word "imminent" to describe the situation - it is definitely worth continuing to observe, feed high quality foods, and start preparing for the next steps if you do find eggs. Good luck!

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like they are practicing and doing what they are designed to do. I'm not sure that I would go so far as to use the word "imminent" to describe the situation - it is definitely worth continuing to observe, feed high quality foods, and start preparing for the next steps if you do find eggs. Good luck!

completly agree! i have one pair that has been cleaning their clay pot for about 10 months now lol still nothing. other pairs it was a few weeks. all just depends!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like this when they spawn. These spawn every week and the bigger one is 29years old.

OP
OP
KieAnderson

KieAnderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29years that's incredible. That's what they are doing just no eggs

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give them time. The eggs are bright orange.
You can see them here

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They show the behavior although quite soon after the tank move but very possible

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine were spawning during my last tank move and when I stir the entire tank up with a diatom filter. You can't stop healthy clowns from spawning.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%
Back