Clowns swimming against glass

Matt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’m aware this might not be the smartest question for someone that’s had clowns for over 4 years however, just recently I have noticed my two clowns swimming slowly up and down the glass only at night and during the day they free roam the whole aquarium. Anyone know of any reasons to why it only happens at night when the lights are off. None of my tangs do it and neither does my damsel.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is rather hard to know what fishes are saying or doing, when they only speak in burps though :) They seem to slow down and circle around their sleep spot at night and only pick up their activities with the light. But while it is darker, they seem to circle in smaller and smaller circles and slow down near their sleep spot.

The ones I keep have an anemone somewhat close to the glass in the side, and they regularly use that glass to slow-cuddle against while "circling down" at night to sleep, same with the rest of the circle of territory, around the anemone, before going to rest in it for the night. So my guess is that yours are doing the same & the glass is their favourite spot, where they can turn around and keep close to eachother easily.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 28.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back