Club Drill Bits....

mikemartinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I am moved back in to my home and have had a chance to go thru all the stuff I had to put away cause of the flood I found the drill bits (thank god).... I know the BOD had already stated for me not to worry about it but I didnt feel right not returning something that belonged to the club..

I will take these to the Aquatic Critter today and any member of the BOD can go pick them up when they have time...

Thanks

SmyrnaReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i might be running up there tonight or tomorrow so unless someone beats me there, i can grab them. just let us know who you leave them with...thx

OP
OP
M

mikemartinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left them there but did not ask the guys name... I just saw this message today... Hopefully there wont be any problems though...

Let me know when you pick them up..

OP
OP
M

mikemartinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo can I get a confirmation from someone whether this was picked up?...

I want to make sure this has been cleared up before I leave this club for good...

SmyrnaReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my work plans changed, i plan on going tomorrow evening...

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those things are probably so dull at this point, I would bet it would take an hour to drill a hole. :)

Brandon

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those things are probably so dull at this point, I would bet it would take an hour to drill a hole. :)

Brandon
Plus without a guide or Drillpress it is very easy to break your tank glass on thinner glass. Chris at AC will drill all the hole you want for cheap and he assumes responsibility for breakage! Win Win...
JMO

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done 1/4" glass before and its not bad at all. Its a slow process if you do it right, but very simple. Guides and drill presses are helpful, but far from necessary. Its easy to do with a hand-held drill. I'd be more than happy to demonstrate at a meeting at some point if there was interest. :)

Its also very awesome of Chris to do the holes and assume responsibility, too!

Brandon

OP
OP
M

mikemartinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brandon

When I got them (I dont remember from who) he said they were still pretty new and I never used them or had the chance to give them to anyone else so they should still be sharp...

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, ok... gotcha. I thought they had been used a few times. IME, after about 2 or 3 holes, they're done.

Brandon

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MvlK and I used them on 1/8" glass tanks as sumps and Broke 2 or three panes before getting one hole drilled. It may well be much easier to do on thicker glass but thin is risky to say the least.Bill

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The way I found best to drill is to use a hose and run water over the drill spot the whole time. Never busted one, but I did when I did it the way where you make a dam. The water heated up I think.

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i took a 6"x6" piece of plexiglass and drilled it first so i had a guide and used a squirt bottle, make sure to see the drill to the lowest clutch setting and take your time.

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it many times only busted one tank becuase it was tempered glass. The key is go slow and run cool water over it the hole time your drilling.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, Bill. I would think 1/8" would be tricky.

To be honest, I've done it with very little water. Just a squirt or two every once in a while. This was because I was doing it to a tank that was upright. :) I just taped a garbage bag underneath the hole (with good duck tape) and the water/glassdust flowed right into it. It was interesting, but worked great. I only sprayed it once I felt it getting rougher. If you take your time, it will do fine.

Brandon

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your tank is not labled if its tempered or not. the easiest/cheapest way to find out is.... a pair of polarized fishing glasses($10) and a lcd screen( i use my laptop). place lcd screen on a program that has a white background and put the glasses on, if lean clockwise or counterclockwise the screen will darken. when its pitch black with no streaks then its not tempered, if when its dark and has streaks then its tempered. just make sure your tank is empty :)

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, before you leave the club(sad but I understand) I want to thank you publicly for giving me the link and the suggestion to come here. Many had mentioned the reef club before, but no one provided a link. I'm pretty good at finding things on the web, but was not landing in the right spot looking for the reef club. Your link brought me right to where I should be, and at the right time--after the move was made, so it wouldn't be confusing as a newbie when the address changed overnight. Very cool! Also, thanks for selling me such an awesome light for a very affordable price. My tank looks like a whole different reef-to-be.

OP
OP
M

mikemartinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, before you leave the club(sad but I understand) I want to thank you publicly for giving me the link and the suggestion to come here. Many had mentioned the reef club before, but no one provided a link. I'm pretty good at finding things on the web, but was not landing in the right spot looking for the reef club. Your link brought me right to where I should be, and at the right time--after the move was made, so it wouldn't be confusing as a newbie when the address changed overnight. Very cool! Also, thanks for selling me such an awesome light for a very affordable price. My tank looks like a whole different reef-to-be.

You're welcome Tina,

Yeah when you mentioned that you were just getting started in reefing I wanted to make sure to point you in the right direction to the people that can really help.

There are a lot of good people in this club that are more than willing to help out and have a ton of knowledge..

Bill (poolkeeper1) and Rhett (commonstranger) are just 2 quick examples of this...

Like I said if you are looking for a few corals to get started make a thread and I'm sure there are people currently looking to make some room or wouldnt mind trimming some things to make some extra cash..

Good luck on the tank and I'm glad you're loving the light.. :bigsmile:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back