CO2 degasser

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made a degasser. If I make the degasser air tight is that going to interfere
With the CO2 escaping and saturate the water with it?

9E448E1F-F25F-47C0-BBFB-4A6731D04B83.jpeg

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in this. I burn through DI and need to do something.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made a degasser. If I make the degasser air tight is that going to interfere
With the CO2 escaping and saturate the water with it?

9E448E1F-F25F-47C0-BBFB-4A6731D04B83.jpeg

A little more info...

What are you degassing?

Can you explain how it is intended to work?

Obviously, the gas must escape from whatever fluid you are degassing.

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to gravity feed the DI but it’s not fast enough. Tried to lower the DI as well but it still isn’t fast enough.

F4935AE4-E9A7-45CD-9828-FA5B0828BA0A.jpeg

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built something similar, though for stripping CO2 at a different point in the process, CalRx Aeration Tower / CO2 Removal from Effluent Project

The issue you are going to have or are having, is that you need pressure to push the stripped water through the DI media, but you need to vent the air containing (hopefully) elevated CO2. So simply putting a vent in the top of the tower will likely overflow as gravity will not push the water through the DI.

I can think of a not too hard way of accomplishing this though. I used some industrial pressure sensors in a couple of my DIY projects, Pressure sensor with display PN7204, and they would work perfect for releasing the accumulated air from the top of the tower at a preset pressure and toggling between a vent valve and DI valve. As this is fresh water, the valves can be the easily available RODI style (for 24VDC).

This thread for one of my projects will help you to see how they are used. CO2 Tank Auto Switcher

I would be happy to help you work out the details of setting something like this up for your stripper.

Dennis

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built something similar, though for stripping CO2 at a different point in the process, CalRx Aeration Tower / CO2 Removal from Effluent Project

The issue you are going to have or are having, is that you need pressure to push the stripped water through the DI media, but you need to vent the air containing (hopefully) elevated CO2. So simply putting a vent in the top of the tower will likely overflow as gravity will not push the water through the DI.

I can think of a not too hard way of accomplishing this though. I used some industrial pressure sensors in a couple of my DIY projects, Pressure sensor with display PN7204, and they would work perfect for releasing the accumulated air from the top of the tower at a preset pressure and toggling between a vent valve and DI valve. As this is fresh water, the valves can be the easily available RODI style (for 24VDC).

This thread for one of my projects will help you to see how they are used. CO2 Tank Auto Switcher

I would be happy to help you work out the details of setting something like this up for your stripper.

Dennis

That would be greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could this be done with a simple pressure relief valve?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could this be done with a simple pressure relief valve?
Maybe, if you put a restriction on the effluent line so that it flowed, but not enough to keep ahead of the air pump. When a preset pressure is reached, the valve opens and vents the accumulated air and the process starts over again. That is kind of what I was envisioning with the IFM sensor.

Dennis

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually another idea if a valve was put at the top I wonder if you could restrict it enough to have enough pressure to push the water through but yet allow some to escape.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually another idea if a valve was put at the top I wonder if you could restrict it enough to have enough pressure to push the water through but yet allow some to escape.
Ya that is worth a try as well. I would suggest tapping a 1/4" NPT hole at the top so you can screw in an RODI fitting and use that for a needle valve and or future other tests. If you don't have the taps for that, then a 1/4" bulkhead will work as well.

Dennis

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking to use the push connect bulkheads with gaskets

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used airline mufflers screwed to the cap of my degassing chamber.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back