Recirculating CO2 scrubbing!

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of added a recirculating top to my Reef Octo skimmer so my CO2 scrubber media lasts longer. My concern is, how does any fresh air,(oxygen), enter the skimmer if all the same air is continually recirculating?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of added a recirculating top to my Reef Octo skimmer so my CO2 scrubber media lasts longer. My concern is, how does any fresh air,(oxygen), enter the skimmer if all the same air is continually recirculating?
Through surface agitation. The sump and display will both be a source of oxygen. In my experience, this path doesn’t accomplish as much as you might think. I even employ drying reagent to help the co2 scrubbing media. It’s a lot of work

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Through surface agitation. The sump and display will both be a source of oxygen. In my experience, this path doesn’t accomplish as much as you might think. I even employ drying reagent to help the co2 scrubbing media. It’s a lot of work
Doesn't the environment inside the skimmer get devoid of oxygen? Are you saying it doesn't really make the media last longer? Does it minimize or eliminate the smell?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't the environment inside the skimmer get devoid of oxygen? Are you saying it doesn't really make the media last longer? Does it minimize or eliminate the smell?
The scrubber environment is fine. It has plenty of oxygen. The co2 scrubber raises pH 0.1 to 0.3. So it’s a lot of work for not as much pH increase. The drying reagent definitely helps because the co2 scrubbing media will get moist and not be affective. If you want to raise pH more effectively, use outside air to the skimmer

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scrubber environment is fine. It has plenty of oxygen. The co2 scrubber raises pH 0.1 to 0.3. So it’s a lot of work for not as much pH increase. The drying reagent definitely helps because the co2 scrubbing media will get moist and not be affective. If you want to raise pH more effectively, use outside air to the skimmer
I'm already using a scrubber but considering making it recirculating. As far as using outside air I have concerns about pesticides, bugs, extreme temperatures and weather,(rain,ice,snow). Curious how others deal with these issues?

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought the opposite. The moisture from the Skimmer helps the media last longer. Don't people put a spoon full of water in the bottom of the canister to help keep it moist.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, O2 wouldn’t be at the top of my concerns, whereas that scrubber media will set you back$$$
anyway..
I actually have an unused recirc top for a 150 … how fast do you need one?
unfortunately my garage is a mess and I’m also breaking in some new titanium in my leg…
price is free for the shipping but don’t hold your breath …

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, O2 wouldn’t be at the top of my concerns, whereas that scrubber media will set you back$$$
anyway..
I actually have an unused recirc top for a 150 … how fast do you need one?
unfortunately my garage is a mess and I’m also breaking in some new titanium in my leg…
price is free for the shipping but don’t hold your breath …
Mine is a 200.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
…I “think” they use the same cup as the I had a 150 INT and also a 150 Classic
Again, this would be free, so if you got time, I’d give me a few days until I’m mobile …again if you got time

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
…I “think” they use the same cup as the I had a 150 INT and also a 150 Classic
Again, this would be free, so if you got time, I’d give me a few days until I’m mobile …again if you got time
The 150 is 6" diameter, 200 is 8". They're pretty cheep, $30-40 I'm just trying to assess the benefit.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this restrict flow? What media is in the canisters? My sump is in the basement with no windows so i'd need to go over the basement foundation and through vinyl siding.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a the jumbo brs scrubber with a moisture collector can inline to mitigate moisture collection in the media https://fishofhex.com/products/32oz-co2-scrubber-skimmate-collection-container-flat-with-screw-nut

Running a bubble king 200 which pulls quite a bit of air through it, I’m seeing close to a month on scrubber media changes on my 200g heavily stocked system. This is a feasible long term option. My ph will only get below 8.2 when the media exhausts. I run 8.3-8.5 most of the time.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 130 75.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back