CO2 Generators, the wave of the future or Not?

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed these are on the market, seems like they have been around for about a year but the latest ones look better constructed. Very interesting idea, as it beats having to lug a cylinder down to a shop to have it refilled.

Link on Amazon: CO2 Generator

CO2.jpg

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed these are on the market, seems like they have been around for about a year but the latest ones look better constructed. Very interesting idea, as it beats having to lug a cylinder down to a shop to have it refilled.

Link on Amazon: CO2 Generator

CO2.jpg
I dunno…. Seems like just as much work to me. I gotta take it apart and then measure and weigh citric acid, baking soda and water and then add them back in. Take just as much effort to carry the tank to the store to swap out.
also these say that they are only for SMALL tanks. I seriously doubt this would be able to keep up with a calcium reactors demand for any sustained length of time. Whereas a 20lb co2 tank can last 6 months or more.

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno…. Seems like just as much work to me. I gotta take it apart and then measure and weigh citric acid, baking soda and water and then add them back in. Take just as much effort to carry the tank to the store to swap out.
also these say that they are only for SMALL tanks. I seriously doubt this would be able to keep up with a calcium reactors demand for any sustained length of time. Whereas a 20lb co2 tank can last 6 months or more.
Citric Acid and Baking Soda are easy for me, I would just weight out a few batches and bag them.
How long would this last really depends on your bubble rate. Seems like a month or two may be possible on a medium sized tank.

mikethefishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on this topic? For me, I don't like the refill idea because all the co2 refillers around me only do swaps. I don't understand the point of buying a brand new co2 tank and getting it swap for something old beat up tank that you hope won't explode in your house.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you use the co2 for? If for a calcium reactor, then just buy a cheap bottle and exchange it. You also need the pressure of the liquid to gas to get the co2 into the reactor more efficiently. Around me, you can find 5 or 10 lb bottles from failed home brewers for pretty cheap.

If to inject co2 in the tank, most homes have an excess of co2 already so no real need. Yeast, sugar and a 2 liter bottle works pretty well too - used one of these on my FW planted tank.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have one of these for my planted tanks, it works well for that. But it absolutely would be easier just to get a CO2 tank.

I get a 4-6 weeks out of a large one, it can be messy to fill, it's also more expensive for the CO2.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The version for 400g of baking soda produces roughly 200g, so 0.2 kg of CO2. Compare that,and the effort and mess of emptying the thing,refilling,quickly closing so you don't cause more of a mess,with the convenience of switching out a 2, 3, 6 or 10kg bottle of CO2 from a gas vendor. That's 10x to 50x the runtime, with less work, no mess, just driving. Baking soda and citric acid aren't free either.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back