Co2 reduction?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using Seachem acid buffer to reduce the alk in IO salt mix, anyone know how long it’s best to mix to reduce the extra Co2 this method produces?

using 5 grams of acid in 6.6gallons of salt water for around a 4.5dkh reduction in alk.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using Seachem acid buffer to reduce the alk in IO salt mix, anyone know how long it’s best to mix to reduce the extra Co2 this method produces?

using 5 grams of acid in 6.6gallons of salt water for around a 4.5dkh reduction in alk.
Carbonic acid is slow to convert. Will probably be best to let it sit overnight with areation in a low CO2 room (or outside) to get a decent outgas.

It is very unusual to move the dKH (and the pH) this low for a salt water aquarium. It is hard for me to imagine that you would need to move IO down by 4.5dKh even if it is mixing high. It is been my understanding that IO usually mixes low. Even at 10 dKh moving the alk down 4.5 puts you at 5.5 that is not a really good place for salt water aqauariums. Not to mention the pH drop that must accompany this.

Is there a reason that you are doing this?

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbonic acid is slow to convert. Will probably be best to let it sit overnight with areation in a low CO2 room (or outside) to get a decent outgas.

It is very unusual to move the dKH (and the pH) this low for a salt water aquarium. It is hard for me to imagine that you would need to move IO down by 4.5dKh even if it is mixing high. It is been my understanding that IO usually mixes low. Even at 10 dKh moving the alk down 4.5 puts you at 5.5 that is not a really good place for salt water aqauariums. Not to mention the pH drop that must accompany this.

Is there a reason that you are doing this?

the salt tested at 11.5 which I believe is about the lvl of IO, I run the tank at 7dkh, given these facts do you still think it’s an issue? Been mixing for 24 hours now, the ph originally was around 7.6 now it’s around 7.8 or maybe a little higher, just wondering if it’s likely to still need more time to get rid of any more co2?

Last edited:

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the salt tested at 11.5 which I believe is about the lvl of IO, I run the tank at 7dkh, given these facts do you still think it’s an issue?
Yes.

You are depressing your pH heavily by doing this. You are also adding quite a bit of sulfate. All to newly mixed salt.

I would heavily question 11.5. Also I am not sure why you are targeting 7 dKh this is well below NSW, 7.7 seems more appropriate.

If you are using a salt that has a dKh this high wouldn't you want to switch to a salt that doesn't have a dKh this high. You are doing a lot of chemical tinkering to get something that works when you could just buy what you need.

I am aware that some of the more basic salt manufactures will mix high dKH because their target audience is fish only systems. These owners are less likely to buffer alk and so the higher dKh makes sense in the context of a heavy aerobic break down. I know that their are many "reef" salts that mix near NSW and would probably be more appropriate to your situation.

Just curious why you are going through all of this trouble.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.

You are depressing your pH heavily by doing this. You are also adding quite a bit of sulfate. All to newly mixed salt.

I would heavily question 11.5. Also I am not sure why you are targeting 7 dKh this is well below NSW, 7.7 seems more appropriate.

If you are using a salt that has a dKh this high wouldn't you want to switch to a salt that doesn't have a dKh this high. You are doing a lot of chemical tinkering to get something that works when you could just buy what you need.

I am aware that some of the more basic salt manufactures will mix high dKH because their target audience is fish only systems. These owners are less likely to buffer alk and so the higher dKh makes sense in the context of a heavy aerobic break down. I know that their are many "reef" salts that mix near NSW and would probably be more appropriate to your situation.

24 hours to mix salt I don’t believe is excessive, after all it mixes in the tank continuously.

You suggest 7.7, so we are only talking a .7dkh difference. I should have mentioned I aim for 7-7.5dkh.

This is my first time using IO, previously used TMP switched because of cost.

Adding 5grams of powder to the mixing bucket is not too much trouble.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.

Natural See Water is typically around 7dKH.

SmartSelect_20220402-220321_Chrome.jpg

From @Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that overnight is a good plan using an air stone.

I do not believe any other concerns are significant, assuming the Seachem acid buffer is adequately pure.

I know folks who lower the alk in normal IO and it works for them. I also saw that between the lower alk and lower pH, the normal precipitation of calcium carbonate that I and most folks see did not take place.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update…the air pump makes a world of difference removing the co2, previously it was maybe 24 hours to see a significant reduction, with the air pump in under an hour I’m getting the same reduction, shown on my API ph test kit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update…the air pump makes a world of difference removing the co2, previously it was maybe 24 hours to see a significant reduction, with the air pump in under an hour I’m getting the same reduction, shown on my API ph test kit.

Thanks for the update!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 122 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 36.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 62 30.0%
Back