CO2 Regulator/solenoid

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for suggestions for a new CO2 Regulator. I will have this connected to my ph monitor in my calcium reactor. I have a milwaukee Regulator now, but I've been fighting it for over a year. One moment it won't close and the next its not opening. My research shows a dual stage solenoid would be best.

Any reccomendations?

Thanks!

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Carbon Doser electronic regulator for my CA reactor. Its easy to setup and consistent. Combined with a peristaltic pump to control water flow it makes CA reactor operation really easy. I don't use the pH probe to turn the Co2 on and off to hold a pH range but rather as just a shutoff in the event the pH gets to low in the reactor. I have my apex set to turn power off to the carbon dose and close a solenoid on the co2 line between the regulator and the reactor. Only thing to be careful about is making sure if the check valve on the Co2 fails that saltwater can't get back to the regulator as it will trash this regulator. I use an extra long Co2 line and keep the regulator higher than the reactor. The one time the checkvalve was leaking it never got close to the regulator.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your budget and are you handy with DIY projects?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll spend a little money if I don't need to mess with it ever again! Tired of it not working!

See post #40 on page #2 of that DIY build thread. You can find Alanle’s contact info if you’re interested in having him build you a custom regulator.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Fanatic from Premium Aquatics on each of my tanks With CA reactors and they work fine. One of them is 10 years old. Still works as good as the day I bought it. Control it with my Apex.

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll spend a little money if I don't need to mess with it ever again! Tired of it not working!

Dual stage regulator, in my opinion, is the way to go. I've known many people who have used the Carbon Doser with much success but for the same price, maybe even less, you can buy or build an industrial strength regulator that'll most likely last a lifetime.

I built my first one when Alan posted the original thread back in 2014-15. Bought everything for about $300. I have since sold the unit but the one I built for my buddy is still working. Only adjustments he's ever made were at the beginning. Once it's dialed in, there is no need to touch it. Solid piece of equipment.

I built 4 last year for around $350 each. It takes some time to find the right pieces at the right price but it can be done for less. If you don't feel like building it, this ebay seller, ishop-365, seems to sell them at a decent price. You do pay a premium because it's pre-built but it's still decent pricing. I've never bought a regulator from them but I have purchased multiple solenoids and needle valves.

Hope this helps.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an Alan Le regulator and it’s worth every single penny. For the price of a carbon doser or slightly more, you get a precision regulator that’s rock solid. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another. Do yourself a favor and contact him.

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just change the solenoid and needle valve on it, for a better quality ones. That is what I did, and haven't had issue since.

Have you ever had issues when the CO2 tank drops pressure because it's almost empty? I understand the solenoid will switch on and off if you're monitoring your ph but wouldn't it be difficult to adjust the flow when the CO2 tank is almost empty?

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Co2Art is very popular in the freshwater world (where co2 is used much more often)

I have one but only used it for 6 months. No issues in that time.

Last edited:

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever had issues when the CO2 tank drops pressure because it's almost empty? I understand the solenoid will switch on and off if you're monitoring your ph but wouldn't it be difficult to adjust the flow when the CO2 tank is almost empty?
first, I had issue with the solenoid- the metal lip from where the co2 comes in, and is blocked by the rubber shoe when the valve is activated, had a small chip broken off, so co2 was continually circulating through the broken chip. The needle valve has an issue where some impurity from the CO2 slowly clog the valve (even though I use food grade), so it need to be adjusted frequently because the bubble count will slow until it stops. The needle valve issue is well known, and is even documented on Milwaukee instrument website. warranty is 6 month.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back