CO2 scrubber and protein skimmer.

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of getting a CO2 scrubber to raise pH. Opening window is ok for now but I can’t imagine during the hot summers and cold winters. The only issue with connecting it to protein skimmer is that the skimmer sucks all my nutrients to 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates. The chaeto reactor probably factors in but not as mich when the skimmer is on.

is there a way to Run the co2 scrubber without protein skimmer?

or if i dial my skimmer so that nothing is being skimmed, would that prevent nutrient export?

thanks!

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m thinking of getting a CO2 scrubber to raise pH. Opening window is ok for now but I can’t imagine during the hot summers and cold winters. The only issue with connecting it to protein skimmer is that the skimmer sucks all my nutrients to 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates. The chaeto reactor probably factors in but not as mich when the skimmer is on.

is there a way to Run the co2 scrubber without protein skimmer?

or if i dial my skimmer so that nothing is being skimmed, would that prevent nutrient export?

thanks!
The CO2 scrubber is to prevent your skimmer from pulling CO2 into your water. So if the skimmer isn’t on there is nothing to scrub. The CO2 scrubber is not going to have a major effect on removing CO2 that is already in your water.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just remove the cup and let the foamy water overflow. This would make it the worlds most expensive air stone. May I ask, if your nutrients are so low, why do you run a chaeto rector? The skimmer would have more benefit to the tank than the reactor because it oxygenates the water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try it first and see what happens. Skimmers are not a big nutrient exporter. Cutting back on the lighting times for the chaeto might be the first thing to do if nutrients did get too low.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%

Back