CO2 scrubber and side effects?

RDL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am new to this forum so have hopefully posted by question in the right place.

I have been struggling to get my PH much above 8.1 during the day with lowes at night down to 7.78.

Given the low PH my LFS mentioned Co2 as a potential reason and said I could try a scrubber attached to my skimmer which I did. The great news is the night time low has stopped at 8.03 and the daytime high was 8.28 yesterday. Still a swing but not as low as it was for sure.

My question is around the alkalinity and calcium levels. I added the scrubber 3 days ago and when I tested last night, alk was at 9.24 dkh and Calc was 420 which is about normal for my mixed reef. When I tested tonight at the same time, alk was 6.78 dkh and calc was 290. I have not seen a change like this ever in the 2 years I have had my tank and the only change is the addition of the co2 scrubber which I am hoping is a good thing.

Testing was done 3 times tonight given the low readings using my Red Sea test kit.

I am dosing Seachem 1 and 2 and have been for about 6 months using a doser and have checked lines to make sure dosing is actually taking place and is. I dose calc during the day and alk at night and levels have been pretty steady for the most part.

I am hoping that someone here has had a similar experience or has an idea on what is happening and if it is to be expected with a scrubber.

Thanks in advance for any help.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am new to this forum so have hopefully posted by question in the right place.

I have been struggling to get my PH much above 8.1 during the day with lowes at night down to 7.78.

Given the low PH my LFS mentioned Co2 as a potential reason and said I could try a scrubber attached to my skimmer which I did. The great news is the night time low has stopped at 8.03 and the daytime high was 8.28 yesterday. Still a swing but not as low as it was for sure.

My question is around the alkalinity and calcium levels. I added the scrubber 3 days ago and when I tested last night, alk was at 9.24 dkh and Calc was 420 which is about normal for my mixed reef. When I tested tonight at the same time, alk was 6.78 dkh and calc was 290. I have not seen a change like this ever in the 2 years I have had my tank and the only change is the addition of the co2 scrubber which I am hoping is a good thing.

Testing was done 3 times tonight given the low readings using my Red Sea test kit.

I am dosing Seachem 1 and 2 and have been for about 6 months using a doser and have checked lines to make sure dosing is actually taking place and is. I dose calc during the day and alk at night and levels have been pretty steady for the most part.

I am hoping that someone here has had a similar experience or has an idea on what is happening and if it is to be expected with a scrubber.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Do you have sps?
As ph increases above 8.2 coral have a much easier time growing. Ill look for a link. BRS tv has a video on this.

OP
OP
RDL

RDL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have SPS and all are growing very well (elk horn in particualr). My thought was to get the PH up because it should be and to see if I can get things to grow faster but didn't expect the alk and calc to drop like they have. Will have a look for the BRS link too.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have SPS and all are growing very well (elk horn in particualr). My thought was to get the PH up because it should be and to see if I can get things to grow faster but didn't expect the alk and calc to drop like they have. Will have a look for the BRS link too.

here is the link. start at around minute 5

More ph info.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/

OP
OP
RDL

RDL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! I see that they had the same thing happen to them. Going to take this the one step further and add a solenoid. Thx!

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! I see that they had the same thing happen to them. Going to take this the one step further and add a solenoid. Thx!
I'm doing the same. I'm purchasing the solenoid and a controller. My ph is too high now. Went from 7.7ph-7.9 to a range of 8.3 to 8.44

OP
OP
RDL

RDL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my solenoid installed. Had to modify the amount of air it let in when open since its really designed for pressurized inputs but after mod works as intended.

20170228_170232_resized.jpg

Bergs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RDL Could you share a link for the Apex solenoid adapter you are using? And the “T” piece? How is the apex solenoid performing with air?

Thx!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back