CO2 scrubber - Hole through skimmer cup

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Red Sea RSK skimmer and I want to do the recirc method on my CO2 scrubber. The scrubber is working great but I think long term the media will really get into my wallet. I would rather pay a little more up front by getting a float switch. I have a float switch on order but what do I need to add on to the skimmer top? Some type of grommet?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused. It sounds like your talking about to different things you want to do to your skimmer. I never heard of anyone using a float switch as part of a CO2 scrubber setup.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused. It sounds like your talking about to different things you want to do to your skimmer. I never heard of anyone using a float switch as part of a CO2 scrubber setup.

The float switch is part of constructing one as a recirculation type setup. The float switch will cut off the skimmer in case the cup itself gets too full.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The float switch is part of constructing one as a recirculation type setup. The float switch will cut off the skimmer in case the cup itself gets too full.
What Red Sea skimmer do you have? And what float switch did you get? I have the rsk 300 and the Brs float switch is to big to fit in the cup. I did set it up as a Co2 recirculating skimmer. But couldn’t get the float switch to work.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Red Sea skimmer do you have? And what float switch did you get? I have the rsk 300 and the Brs float switch is to big to fit in the cup. I did set it up as a Co2 recirculating skimmer. But couldn’t get the float switch to work.

I have the RSK300

This is what I bought, but it has not come in yet.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you set yours up as a recirculation what did you use to pull the air from the skimmer cup? That was my original question, was it some type of grommet? See my above post for the answer on the float switch.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I answered my own question. I guess I am just going to use a 3/8" nylon barb and either use a grommet in the lid or a 3/8" nylon nipt barb and screw it in.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would use the barb if you can. I used the grommet before I switch to pulling outside air. Using the grommet worked but the only downfall was I kept pulling skim bubbles in the air line. Which is not so bad because you need to keep the media moist but I’d had to keep cleaning the line after a while.

tomb18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this setup. In my case the ph never goes higher than 8.03. so previously it was 7.8 so it helped.
I have a little trap between the skimmer air output and the CO2 reactor. There is a y tube that opens the outside air via a solenoid when the pH gets too high. The only downside is that I use only one solenoid to choose between outside air, used to lower pH and the reactor. Therefore when the reactor is chosen, it also gets some outside air as well. This is probably why the pH doesn't go higher.
The media lasts a month in my setup. If you buy it on eBay in large quantities, it costs about $8 a month. Not too bad
Tom

Back