CO2 Scrubber Installed

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following up on BRS videos on CO2 scrubber to Protein Skimmer..... we are aiming for a pH of 8.3 which the BRS testing reported their test tanks experienced maximum growth and coral health.

And TADA we have our scrubber installed! Finally, and I am sure we made it WAY more complex than necessary but error on side of caution.

System includes a Voss bottle half filled with RO/DI (to moisturize the incoming ambient air) connected with 1/2 barb fittings and hose to AquaMaxx Reactor filled with BRS CO2 media (half filled for now...easing in), and then 1/2 barb and hose to 1/2 to 3/8 barb fitting to protein skimmer air inlet direct.

I also installed a 24v valve that will be controlled by my Apex to open just in case pH reaches 8.35, then the valve will open and let in ambient air to protect against too high pH (don't know if that is possible...but better safe). I also installed a 1/2' barb valve that I can manually open....just in case, and I could leave it a little open if necessary to slow pH adjustment process.

Now up and running 12 hours and so far my Apex pH probe has recorded that my normal pH of 8.02 to 8.12 in a 24 hour period, is now up to 8.18 and slowly climbing.

I will post updates in case anyone is interested.

COMMENTS and SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED....we are Newbie's to new technologies and chemistry you reefer experts all know so well. Thx.

IMG_2602.JPG

OP
OP
RedSea500MaxS

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week later and numbers are great ...so far. Normal pH
Would stay between 8 and 8.1 end of day. Now 8.15 to 8.27.

I only filled Reactor 1/3 way so in a few days I will increase to 2/3, then in week or so to full.

No negative reaction from SPS or LPS, too soon for good news I expect.

OP
OP
RedSea500MaxS

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back from the island, rested and sun burnt.

Ph is steady and I increased reagent to 2/3. Shooting for a pH of 8.3 like BRS tested offered best growth.

More to follow. PLEASE Help if you have any expert help or suggestions!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High pH is an overrated value...imo
Just grows more algae more quickly

Corals want great light and minor/trace elements

I'd buy into the Trident method more than higher pH

Imo you'll see more growth out of balancing proper minor/trace elements than from get a pH of 8.3

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a reci
Back from the island, rested and sun burnt.

Ph is steady and I increased reagent to 2/3. Shooting for a pH of 8.3 like BRS tested offered best growth.

More to follow. PLEASE Help if you have any expert help or suggestions!
Have you considered a recirculating scrubber design instead? The air leaving your skimmer gets pulled through your media straight back into the skimmer. Efficiency and longevity should be greatly improved.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a reci

Have you considered a recirculating scrubber design instead? The air leaving your skimmer gets pulled through your media straight back into the skimmer. Efficiency and longevity should be greatly improved.
That sounds really beneficial. Does it pull in fresh air as well somewhere in the system? Do you have this set up, I’d love to see it.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a cool thread about it...

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds really beneficial. Does it pull in fresh air as well somewhere in the system? Do you have this set up, I’d love to see it.
Hi Hemmdog

If you have a look at a video posted by BRS in the last few days they show this design. It’s so simple but also the humidity from the skimmer keeps the media hydrated. On their design it can be setup to pull fresh air also via a ball valve.

I will find the link for you as soon as I can get my VPN to function. I am in China at the moment and YouTube is forbidden

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Hemmdog

If you have a look at a video posted by BRS in the last few days they show this design. It’s so simple but also the humidity from the skimmer keeps the media hydrated. On their design it can be setup to pull fresh air also via a ball valve.

I will find the link for you as soon as I can get my VPN to function. I am in China at the moment and YouTube is forbidden
Oh no problem, I’m sure I can find it, thank you. It sounds really cool.

OP
OP
RedSea500MaxS

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High pH is an overrated value...imo
Just grows more algae more quickly

Corals want great light and minor/trace elements

I'd buy into the Trident method more than higher pH

Imo you'll see more growth out of balancing proper minor/trace elements than from get a pH of 8.3

Hi

Great feed back, thank you. No algae issues so far.

I want to add trace elements to my regime, and cannot find any easy solution??? Any suggestions? I heard the Red Sea Reef Coral Nutrition was working great for one impressive reef online.

Thx!

OP
OP
RedSea500MaxS

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a cool thread about it...

Yes, I so plan to test the recirc method, thank you. My reef mentor though has had his up for almost 1 year and with great success without recirc (he tried it not worth risk he said), and his cost w/o recirc is extremely low for reagent used.

He advised not worth the risk of having my skimmer overflow one night (always happens when I am away) back into my CO2 scrubber, trashing it, and causing unknown tank nightmare until I find it. Slim chance it would fill full, but I wanted to get a data base this way then switch and compare numbers, and cost.

Thank you though, yes it has a lot of merit done right!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back