Co2 Scrubber question

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to fire up my Lifereef skimmer for the first time. I will be connecting a brs co2 Scrubber to the skimmer. My question is what happens if the cup over fills and saltwater gets drawn into the scrubber. What will that media do toy tank?

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off I recommend getting the smart skimmer to avoid that. Second things I recommend is have the skimmer go to an empty media reactor then that media reactor has a line going to the co2 scrubber then back to the skimmer.

redfishreef96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out #Reefahholic, recirculating CO2 scrubber. It's it the best CO2 setup I have seen. Has all necessary parts and pieces in description. Run on my display get my pH between 8.1-8.3. Enjoy.

dmreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recirculating doesn’t have to mean “suitable for the International Space Station.” This setup uses hot-glue to leave a small gap so that overflowing skimmate doesn’t get sucked up into the intake (not to mention, no permanent damage to my skimmer)

The negative air pressure from the cone does enough to draw the air from inside the skimmer — this run has been going nearly 6 weeks without replacement, with no drop in pH yet... I’m still running between 8.1 and 8.2 all day.

CC0A7C55-147B-4D49-BBED-47C8425B3A2C.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a recirculating setup. The one hassle I have is that too much moisture builds up in the bottom of the canister and fouls the media. My skimmer cup has a float switch shutoff, so this is not about an overflowing cup, just the drawing of the humidity and bubbles.

Anybody got a picture of some kind of inline reservoir that can capture that extra moisture before it hits the canister? I have to empty mine every day.

Thanks!

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a BRS dual reactor with sponges to remove the excess moisture. A single reactor should be sufficient. I found without running the sponges I still got too much moisture in my scrubber.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I came across this. I've been averaging 7-10 days on a large BRS canister and was surprised since I'm pulling from outdoors through it. I bet the moisture is what's killing me.

Curious what media brand you all are using?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I came across this. I've been averaging 7-10 days on a large BRS canister and was surprised since I'm pulling from outdoors through it. I bet the moisture is what's killing me.

Curious what media brand you all are using?
I have been running the Spherasorb which you used to be able to get from BRS, then they branded it themselves but not sure what their house brand is anymore. I both a 5 gallon bucket off Amazon which was 45 lbs for $115 ref=sr_1_2

I just started using the Amazon media and so far it seems to be working ok now that I have the moisture under control. I have the large icecap, before fixing the moisture I got 7 days out the media, with the moisture fixed it has been running since 12/2 in recirculating mode so has greatly extended the media life.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running the Spherasorb which you used to be able to get from BRS, then they branded it themselves but not sure what their house brand is anymore. I both a 5 gallon bucket off Amazon which was 45 lbs for $115 ref=sr_1_2

I just started using the Amazon media and so far it seems to be working ok now that I have the moisture under control. I have the large icecap, before fixing the moisture I got 7 days out the media, with the moisture fixed it has been running since 12/2 in recirculating mode so has greatly extended the media life.
Then it’s the moisture for sure. I’m using the same media from med vet. Thanks for the info!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back