Co2 scrubber/skimmer programming

fattiremike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

How would I go about programming Apex so my skimmer would turn off at a ph of 8.3 and turn back on at a ph of 8.2, without interfering with my 2 automatic feed modes, which are triggered by a virtual outlet and/or my manual feed mode which shuts the return and skimmer down?

I programmed it to do what I wanted easily enough, but it interfered with the feed modes.

Thanks,

Mike

RussM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be helpful to post the programming you currently have so others can work with what you have to help you correct the problem, and perhaps also explain why what you have is not working as expected. Without being able to see that programming, all anyone else can do is ask a lot of questions or give generic answers.

OP
OP
F

fattiremike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the programming for my skimmer:

Set ON
If Output vFeeder = ON Then OFF
Defer 005:00 Then ON
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
Defer 007:00 Then ON

Thanks,
Mike

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try this:

Fallback ON
If pH < 8.2 Then ON
If Ph > 8.3 Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Note that only one Defer Then ON statement can be used in each code stack, and it applies to the entire stack regardless of where it's placed.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try this:

Fallback ON
If pH < 8.2 Then ON
If Ph > 8.3 Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Note that only one Defer Then ON statement can be used in each code stack, and it applies to the entire stack regardless of where it's placed.

Sorry for the hijack-

“Code stack”?

Does that mean I can double line break the code and break it up into sections?

Like this:

Set on
Xxxxxx
Xxxxxx
Defer 005:00 then on

Xxxxxx
Xxxxxz
Defer 010:00 then on

And I could have two defers apply to two different conditions on the same outlet?

Does that work for osc commands too?

Thanks!

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

markster27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the programming for my skimmer:

Set ON
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
Defer 007:00 Then ON

Thanks,
Mike

I am new to the Apex world and wanted to adopt this code. Is the vFeeder your skimmer? Also, do I need the FeedA code if I do not turn off when feeding? Thanks

OP
OP
F

fattiremike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the Apex world and wanted to adopt this code. Is the vFeeder your skimmer? Also, do I need the FeedA code if I do not turn off when feeding? Thanks
I am struggling through learning all of the code programming myself. The vFeeder is the virtual outlet for my automatic feeders. FeedA is the feed mode when I touch the A feed mode to trigger the vFeeder, which turns off my return pump, skimmer and MP40qd's. Hope that answers your question.

OP
OP
F

fattiremike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question, can using air stones at night help with lower pH?
Yes. I would think so. I have a JohnGuest valve going to a T fitting that I can open (manually) when my ph gets too high to suck in outside air (bypass the Co2 scrubber). Same principle. Get some Co2 in the tank to lower the ph, right?

Start at 9.30

OP
OP
F

fattiremike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I would think so. I have a JohnGuest valve going to a T fitting that I can open (manually) when my ph gets too high to suck in outside air (bypass the Co2 scrubber). Same principle. Get some Co2 in the tank to lower the ph, right?

Start at 9.30

Edit: So, I misunderstood your question, as in your ph is too high and you need to lower it. That is my case. You need to raise ph at night. Airstones may help, but where are you going to get your air from? You need to draw your air from a source that is low in Co2 (outside). So, not from your living quarters where everyone is breathing in o2 and exhaling Co2.

OP
OP
F

fattiremike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I had a problem getting reliable results from my scrubber. I finally figured out that my dursos where sucking in air like crazy. So, I DIYd scrubbers for each durso out of water bottles. Problem solved. Now my ph goes too high.....

markster27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: So, I misunderstood your question, as in your ph is too high and you need to lower it. That is my case. You need to raise ph at night. Airstones may help, but where are you going to get your air from? You need to draw your air from a source that is low in Co2 (outside). So, not from your living quarters where everyone is breathing in o2 and exhaling Co2.
I need to test the CO2 in my house to see what it is, I would prefer to know if that is even the issue before trying to run a line outside, which would be somewhat of a challenge.

markster27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I had a problem getting reliable results from my scrubber. I finally figured out that my dursos where sucking in air like crazy. So, I DIYd scrubbers for each durso out of water bottles. Problem solved. Now my ph goes too high.....
I only have one durso and have a tiny hole on the cap so would not even think that would be an issue

OP
OP
F

fattiremike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that tiny hole is sucking air. I used 1/4" airline and ran it down behind the tank and under my cabinet. I drilled about a dozen 1/8" holes in the lower quarter of a plastic bottle and filled it 3/4 with scrubber media. Drilled a 1/4" hole in the bottle cap and stuck one end of the airline through the cap and the other end in the durso (which happened to be 1/4"). Boom, ph problem solved and it cost me less that a few bucks to make.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back