Co2 Scrubber w/o Protein Skimmer

Reefguy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a cube 50 gallon aquarium. Everything in it seems to be doing pretty good but I know it could probably do better. It is a mixed reef with 2 clowns and a fairy wrasse. It is a light bio load. I do not run a skimmer but have a refugium with good amount chaeto and about 7 marine pure blocks. I also run some marine pure blue but thats about it for filtration. My nutrients are always pretty under control. I would like to raise my PH a little it is usually between 7.9 and 8.1 but I would like to see it a stay constantly about 8 a little bit more and see if I can get some more growth from my sps if it is a little higher. I am not a numbers chaser but just want to experiment with this a little. Can I rig a co2 scrubber to run without a skimmer? Should I ditch the refugium for a skimmer (dont have room for both in my sump) Thoughts?

PH: 7.9-8.1
Tmp - 78-79
Salt: 35 ppt
Alk 8.6
CA: 458
MG: 1337

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need a way to mix air and water, so maybe you could use a large air pump that could feed through the CO2 media, then to an airstone. That would make salt creep an issue to deal with. I haven't explored CO2 scrubbers much, but maybe try a small fan blowing across your sump and exchanging the air under your stand for a couple days and see what that does first. The initial investment would be much smaller.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back