Co2 scrubber

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Brs single carbon/gfo reactor that’s not being used. I was looking at the co2 scrubber you sell and it looks identical to the reactor I already have. I am wondering if I can turn my carbon/gfo reactor into a co2 reactor? If so what parts would I need to change out to make it work? I don’t want to have to buy another reactor if I don’t have to.
Thank you.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use their standard media reactor as a co2 scrubber and it works fine. I don't use the black sponges but besides that I just fill it up with media.

OP
OP
Reef man 89

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use their standard media reactor as a co2 scrubber and it works fine. I don't use the black sponges but besides that I just fill it up with media.

Did you have to change to the in/out put lines at the top? If so what fitting did you change it to? That’s awesome to know that I can use it. I hate to to have to buy more equipment if I don’t have to. Thank you

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have to change anything at all. I did use more flexible tubing but it's the same size as the tubing their standard media reactor uses.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Brs single carbon/gfo reactor that’s not being used. I was looking at the co2 scrubber you sell and it looks identical to the reactor I already have. I am wondering if I can turn my carbon/gfo reactor into a co2 reactor? If so what parts would I need to change out to make it work? I don’t want to have to buy another reactor if I don’t have to.
Thank you.

Good one for a quick #AskBRStv episode! It's super simple to do with a couple fittings and some 3/8" hose.

You'll need (2x) these 1⁄2” MALE NPT X 3⁄8” BARB KYNAR ELBOW
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ozone-resistant-kynar-elbow-male-npt-x-barb.html

All you need after that is the CO2 media and a length of 3/8" tubing (which we find is pretty universal among a wide variety of skimmers).
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/3-16-air-line-tubing-sold-by-the-foot.html

The in/out port on the reactor you have is 1/2"NPT, so simply remove the push connect fittings and thread in the Kynar elbows. :)

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t use any additional parts.
3E87ED7C-CFCB-49F8-8CC2-A430DAB815FE.jpeg

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its interesting, I have an "issue" of high pH rather than low pH. 8.1-8.45 range. I guess the equivalent of a CO2 scrubber would be a CO2 bubbler? LOL

OP
OP
Reef man 89

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the help! I didn’t want to have to buy another reactor if I didn’t have to. My problem is I am trying is run the scrubber in to a tunze 9004 skimmer. Do you know if they sell a air Line reducing fitting as the inside diameter of the 9004 airline is only 4mm and outside is 7mm. I believe the tubing for the reactor is 3/8.

grassy_noel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the help! I didn’t want to have to buy another reactor if I didn’t have to. My problem is I am trying is run the scrubber in to a tunze 9004 skimmer. Do you know if they sell a air Line reducing fitting as the inside diameter of the 9004 airline is only 4mm and outside is 7mm. I believe the tubing for the reactor is 3/8.

I modified mine to work on a tiny Innovative Marine Ghost Protein Skimmer.

Since you're pulling air at just lower than ambient pressure, you don't need any sort of perfect seal (not like when you're dealing with water). I found an adapter on Amazon for like $0.99 that reduced my 3/8" tube from the reactor to a 1/4" tube going into the skimmer.

OP
OP
Reef man 89

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I modified mine to work on a tiny Innovative Marine Ghost Protein Skimmer.

Since you're pulling air at just lower than ambient pressure, you don't need any sort of perfect seal (not like when you're dealing with water). I found an adapter on Amazon for like $0.99 that reduced my 3/8" tube from the reactor to a 1/4" tube going into the skimmer.
Yea I guess right about not having a perfect seal because it’s only air and not water. Didn’t really think about it. Thanks for the info on the fitting I will have to look that up.

Back