Co2 Scrubber?

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any suggestions? I’m adding a scrubber to my air intake of my protein skimmer. I have 100 gal total water volume. I was thinking about adding the BRS co2 scrubber to my Deltec 1000.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is the Co2 media is very expensive and I would do it as a last resort. (unless you are rich) *-*

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanting to add one for a piece of mind. My ph is always 7.8. Trying to keep it at least 8 and consistent. Speed growth?
Have you tested to find the source of the low PH?

Quick way to test is to open a window near the tank for 3 or 4 hours and then test your PH. If it goes up signficantly then a CO2 scrubber will work. As @lapin said this is a very expensive solution. Make sure that it will actually solve your problem. Also there are other cheaper ways to solve household CO2 levels.

OP
OP
RedReefer

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you tested to find the source of the low PH?

Quick way to test is to open a window near the tank for 3 or 4 hours and then test your PH. If it goes up signficantly then a CO2 scrubber will work. As @lapin said this is a very expensive solution. Make sure that it will actually solve your problem. Also there are other cheaper ways to solve household CO2 levels.
The pH does go up to around 8 when I open the window. I have a newer house within five years central HVAC so? My cabinet is sealed with only a couple little holes but I do have a ventilation fan. I was going to run the air intake for the scrubber outside of the stand.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why how long does a single rodi size cartridge last?
You can read what others get if you read the reviews

OP
OP
RedReefer

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sump: I need to clean up the wires...
A9C54022-C4C6-4E29-AD34-74A7D6D0CABB.jpeg

OP
OP
RedReefer

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can read what others get if you read the reviews
Yes sir thanks. That’s the same unit I have. Will adding an oversize scrubber (more media) make the media last longer?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH does go up to around 8 when I open the window. I have a newer house within five years central HVAC so? My cabinet is sealed with only a couple little holes but I do have a ventilation fan. I was going to run the air intake for the scrubber outside of the stand.
Your house is new so your HVAC is tied to the outside air, so indoor CO2 should not be your problem. Your tank design however ... well that is your problem. I have a real problem with enclosed sump areas and this is why. Also if the top of your tank is enclosed then your tank has no way to "breath". The CO2 is going to build up. A better alternative is chaeto or macro in the sump. Those mangroves aren't going to cut it they don't grow fast enough. Also uncover your tank (if it is covered) and get more air flow through your stand. Just leaving the doors open should be enough to pull up your PH. Another alternative is to put your skimmer airline outside of your stand. These are much cheaper and more effective solutions than a CO2 scrubber.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir thanks. That’s the same unit I have. Will adding an oversize scrubber (more media) make the media last longer?
This is what I use for media. If you buy it in bulk obviously it cost less and then becomes more realistic for people who are (not rich)

10EF7FAF-92F7-4A7D-B11D-5B811A2F9D8D.png

OP
OP
RedReefer

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your house is new so your HVAC is tied to the outside air, so indoor CO2 should not be your problem. Your tank design however ... well that is your problem. I have a real problem with enclosed sump areas and this is why. Also if the top of your tank is enclosed then your tank has no way to "breath". The CO2 is going to build up. A better alternative is chaeto or macro in the sump. Those mangroves aren't going to cut it they don't grow fast enough. Also uncover your tank (if it is covered) and get more air flow through your stand. Just leaving the doors open should be enough to pull up your PH. Another alternative is to put your skimmer airline outside of your stand. These are much cheaper and more effective solutions than a CO2 scrubber.
Yeah that was part of the plan too, run the skimmer line out of the stand with the scrubber behind the stand, not in the cabinet

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long of life with I get out of 1 cartridge size?
The answer to this question has few variables and Impossible to give you good answer. The time it will last will depend on how long it runs for. How long it runs for is determined by how much co2 is in your air and what ph level you are shooting for. With this being said with my experience it has lasted anywhere from 2-4 weeks. Mine runs more then 50% of the day most days.

OP
OP
RedReefer

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The answer to this question has few variables and Impossible to give you good answer. The time it will last will depend on how long it runs for. How long it runs for is determined by how much co2 is in your air and what ph level you are shooting for. With this being said with my experience it has lasted anywhere from 2-4 weeks. Mine runs more then 50% of the day most days.
So you only running your skimmer for half the day?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you only running your skimmer for half the day?
I use solenoid ball valves and apex to control valves to open and close allowing skimmer to pull air thru scrubber or my 1 1/2inch outside pvc tube. Skimmer runs 24/7 valves open and close to re route scrubber air

FEA77F21-8D7B-4B78-847D-DD614AF82ADD.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back