CO2 Scrubber

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently added a CO2 scrubber. Made a pretty noticeable difference to the pH. Improved it from around 7.5 low/7.9 high to now around 8.1 low/8.4 high. Also added a valve to it to minimize the scrubbing when the pH gets higher than desired. So far so good!

8E6C1513-E551-4B43-B7F7-188741B0F126_1_201_a.jpeg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently added a CO2 scrubber. Made a pretty noticeable difference to the pH. Improved it from around 7.5 low/7.9 high to now around 8.1 low/8.4 high. Also added a valve to it to minimize the scrubbing when the pH gets higher than desired. So far so good!

Very nice!

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you explain how the valve works to shut off when PH is at a good level??

OP
OP
MtnDewMan

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain how the valve works to shut off when PH is at a good level??
During normal operation, the valve is closed. Air goes into the scrubber, through the media and out of the scrubber to the skimmer. When the pH goes above 8.32, the valve is commanded open. Since the air will travel through the least resistance, the air will come from the air of the room to the skimmer through the valve (some air will get through the media but the resistance of the media is much greater than that of the air that goes through the valve when it is open). This method is better for me as I prefer to not turn the skimmer off. This way I can keep the skimmer running at all times.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During normal operation, the valve is closed. Air goes into the scrubber, through the media and out of the scrubber to the skimmer. When the pH goes above 8.32, the valve is commanded open. Since the air will travel through the least resistance, the air will come from the air of the room to the skimmer through the valve (some air will get through the media but the resistance of the media is much greater than that of the air that goes through the valve when it is open). This method is better for me as I prefer to not turn the skimmer off. This way I can keep the skimmer running at all times.
Brilliant

OP
OP
MtnDewMan

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an example of how it is working. The valve opens when the pH raises too high, keeps it leveled off and then closes again when the pH drops back down. I'm pleased with the results so far. Valve open/closed in orange, pH level in blue.

Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 7.02.13 PM.png

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So recently added the jumbo from brs double chamber co2 scrubber. Media not changing to purple nor see any Ph increase not sure what I am doing wrong. It's in recerculating method now. Can somebody chime in.

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently added the jumbo from brs double chamber co2 scrubber. Media not changing to purple nor see any Ph increase not sure what I am doing wrong. It's in recerculating method now. Can somebody chime in.
Same issue, I have a big bag of it as well…be my last purchase of BRS stuff, once I use up this crap going back to icecap or DIY.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Same issue, I have a big bag of it as well…be my last purchase of BRS stuff, once I use up this crap going back to icecap or DIY.
So you think it's the brs stuff media that is ****?

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

OP
OP
MtnDewMan

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recirculating meaning taking air from the skimmer cup? If so I’d try taking air from the room through the media to the skimmer. Get a baseline on how that works first before recirculating method. I don’t know anything about brs media. I am using the icecap media which seems to work.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Recirculating meaning taking air from the skimmer cup? If so I’d try taking air from the room through the media to the skimmer. Get a baseline on how that works first before recirculating method. I don’t know anything about brs media. I am using the icecap media which seems to work.
OK will try taking from room air, I just changed the media to see if it was media issue. But I try over an hour without moving.

radfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience needed. Let run for theee days and trend to determine if effective. No big change will happen in just a few hours...

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree, give it a few day/night cycles to see how it's going. Are you using a valve or any bypass? I forgot to ask.
No valve no bypass. Will try 3 days with new media recerculating. Then will try from room air.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First bag I bought from Amazon soda lime. Second big bag from brs. No changes with soda lime for over a ween and no color change. Now trying the brs media to see. Also checked all inlets and everything and I can hear drawing air from opposite of the chamber. I did notice my skimmer performance foam dropped when installed the unit. There is no way I can attach to the skimmer close by since the unit is so large and won't fit, so currently on the side of the caibent with 4-5ft hoses. Hopefully it's not the length of the hoses causing the issue. Will wait a few days and see what happens.

radfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use 3/8 inch line and check for trapped water. It may pool up over time in the line and cease air flow. Due to the increased pressure drag from the scrubber, you may have to adjust skimmer to make proper foam... I need to design an air dryer for mine, constantly filling with water condensate.

OP
OP
MtnDewMan

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First bag I bought from Amazon soda lime. Second big bag from brs. No changes with soda lime for over a ween and no color change. Now trying the brs media to see. Also checked all inlets and everything and I can hear drawing air from opposite of the chamber. I did notice my skimmer performance foam dropped when installed the unit. There is no way I can attach to the skimmer close by since the unit is so large and won't fit, so currently on the side of the caibent with 4-5ft hoses. Hopefully it's not the length of the hoses causing the issue. Will wait a few days and see what happens.
Do you have pictures of your co2 scrubber set up?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 72 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.7%
Back