CO2 SCRUBER MEDIA

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats a good alternative for co2 scrubber media have a friend that is in need of some but bulkreefsupply is out of stock

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever looked at using 13X Molecular Sieve as an alternative to Soda Lime (which is what the BRS co2 media is)? While the cost-per-pound is similar, I've read an article indicating that 13X Molecular Sieve can last months or years and it can be regenerated by baking it. Here's an example of some on Amazon:

And a link from a company who primarily deals with this type of media in the pharma field:

I've never used the stuff and couldn't find any links on R2R on it, so I figured I'd ask.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you are running a recirculating system vs fresh air? Thinking of converting.
I run mine recirculating from skimmer cup cap. Keeps air moist running through the media. You'll get A LOT more life out of the media this way. Make sure you have a way to stop the skimmer if it overflows. You dont want soda lime getting into your tank.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine recirculating from skimmer cup cap. Keeps air moist running through the media. You'll get A LOT more life out of the media this way. Make sure you have a way to stop the skimmer if it overflows. You dont want soda lime getting into your tank.
Did you put a valve on it that stops when water goes through? I'm thinking about doing a DIY build with normal air hose and have some of those valves handy.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever looked at using 13X Molecular Sieve as an alternative to Soda Lime (which is what the BRS co2 media is)? While the cost-per-pound is similar, I've read an article indicating that 13X Molecular Sieve can last months or years and it can be regenerated by baking it.

Interesting - I don't really know anything about it but from reading that manufacturer link it looks like it's primarily used as a desiccant, so even though it absorbs CO2 it also co-absorbs water, so depending on humidity I'd worry it might get saturated with water before it has a chance to do much by way of absorbing CO2. But in dry enough air it might work pretty well.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put a valve on it that stops when water goes through? I'm thinking about doing a DIY build with normal air hose and have some of those valves handy.
My skimmer has a float switch in the skimmer cup to prevent overflows. Same idea different approach.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back