Coast to Coast on the end of 8ft tank?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just in the beginning stages of planning my first custom build. I want the tank to be 96"x30"x25" tall. It will be in our living room with one end in a corner but with enough room left to work on things. Sump will be a stock tank in the basement. I'd like to do an external coast to coast on the end facing the corner to hide the plumbing and allow the tank to be placed closer to the wall on the long side. My question is would an overflow on the end be feasible on an 8ft tank if I have enough flow?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm just in the beginning stages of planning my first custom build. I want the tank to be 96"x30"x25" tall. It will be in our living room with one end in a corner but with enough room left to work on things. Sump will be a stock tank in the basement. I'd like to do an external coast to coast on the end facing the corner to hide the plumbing and allow the tank to be placed closer to the wall on the long side. My question is would an overflow on the end be feasible on an 8ft tank if I have enough flow?
Yes IMHO - if you have enough flow. A drawing of what you're planning - and the pump, etc (external and internal) - would be helpful to answer.

However - I would make sure that whoever is designing your tank takes any structural issues into account when building that side (the side with the overflow). I would also try to have your return on the other end of the tank - as compared to on the same side - otherwise you may have an unacceptable amount of water recirculation. (i.e. 'clean' water going right back down the overflow)

Sounds like an interesting plan - if you end up doing it - hopefully you'll add it to your tank thread!

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages sounds like he needs the same style tank that @Lost in the Sauce and i have.

Our tanks are 96x30x25 with a coast to coast on the short end.

Love the idea that currently its against a wall but when we move i could use it as a room divider and put is as a peninsula.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages sounds like he needs the same style tank that @Lost in the Sauce and i have.

Love the idea that currently its against a wall but when we move i could use it as a room divider and put is as a peninsula.
I was planning on using Glass cages. I knew I saw a similar tank on here but couldn't find it. 312g club or something like that. :thinking-face: Any post with yours that you could share. I've been kicking this around for a couple of years and think I almost have myself talked into it.

Found @Lost in the Sauce build thread. Thanks that where I saw it.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very possible. Tank is exactly your dimensions.

I designed this box with Joe. It takes some serious craftsmanship and a lot of cure time to hang the overflow from the end.

They got it perfect.

Talk to Joe. This is the Lost Pattern. He'll get it.

IMG_1724_20221109_062856.jpg

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very possible. Tank is exactly your dimensions.

I designed this box with Joe. It takes some serious craftsmanship and a lot of cure time to hang the overflow from the end.

They got it perfect.

Talk to Joe. This is the Lost Pattern. He'll get it.

IMG_1724_20221109_062856.jpg
Yea dont use @F i s h y tank as it is backwards.....hahaha right @Lost in the Sauce hahaha

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was just going to tag you! But I'm late as usual.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2c also. With you going down to the basement for the sump I would be 100% sure to brace the plumbing somehow. Ie attach it to something to help stabilize it and handle the weight. You don't want it all just pulling down on that overflow. @F i s h y and @Lost in the Sauce both have under the tank sumps. Going down to the basement is my specialty.
20230825_181058.jpg

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2c also. With you going down to the basement for the sump I would be 100% sure to brace the plumbing somehow. Ie attach it to something to help stabilize it and handle the weight. You don't want it all just pulling down on that overflow. @F i s h y and @Lost in the Sauce both have under the tank sumps. Going down to the basement is my specialty.
20230825_181058.jpg
Totally agree with this

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230825_181058.jpg
Yeah homie. That really should be done on any drop. Every overflow manufacturer states that the pipes need to be secured independently of the overflow box.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just got called out of retirement so I won't have as much time to devote to this project but I will have more funds which is good.
I was talking it over with my Gal last night and once I mentioned redoing the floor before setting the new tank she was all in. The layout of the room will allow me to leave the 180 that I'm replacing up and running. I can redo 90% of the floor, set the new tank and get it cycled and ready then move everything over. Pull the 180 finish the floor and good to go. I haven't even priced the build and I'm already getting pumped. This has been of a dream build for a few years.
The location of the new tank will allow me to drop the plumbing strait down to the sump so I can make it a little more tidy than the pic above :face-with-hand-over-mouth: I even have a spare reef flow hammer head I can plumb in and the other one on the 180 becomes backup. @Lost in the Sauce or @F i s h y if you have some spare time and would be willing to share the size of your plumbing I'd appreciate it. I'll probably just roll with your design @Lost in the Sauce since it's already proven and exactly how I would like mine.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just got called out of retirement so I won't have as much time to devote to this project but I will have more funds which is good.
I was talking it over with my Gal last night and once I mentioned redoing the floor before setting the new tank she was all in. The layout of the room will allow me to leave the 180 that I'm replacing up and running. I can redo 90% of the floor, set the new tank and get it cycled and ready then move everything over. Pull the 180 finish the floor and good to go. I haven't even priced the build and I'm already getting pumped. This has been of a dream build for a few years.
The location of the new tank will allow me to drop the plumbing strait down to the sump so I can make it a little more tidy than the pic above :face-with-hand-over-mouth: I even have a spare reef flow hammer head I can plumb in and the other one on the 180 becomes backup. @Lost in the Sauce or @F i s h y if you have some spare time and would be willing to share the size of your plumbing I'd appreciate it. I'll probably just roll with your design @Lost in the Sauce since it's already proven and exactly how I would like mine.
Sure thing bud. Dropping straight down is going to allow this thing to be an ABSOLUTE BEAST as far as turnover goes, if you so choose.

My overflow is drilled with 5 holes. The orientation is (pipe size) 1.5". 1". 1.5". 1". 1.5"

Running a standard Bean Animal with the 1.5” lines. Return from the pump (DCP18000) is 1.5" that splits to two 1" about 18" before the bulkheads.

PXL_20230826_132658997.jpg

Lights out whole tank in the Correct orientation.
PXL_20230826_132632669.MP.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back