Cobalt C-Ray LED 200W

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Lance, good to hear i'm not the only one that likes these lights. Sucks they are being discountinued. I'd like 3 over my 525xl.

Surprsed your not maxing out all channels except for white. At the moment I'm full on all channels ecept for while being at 30 for 6 hours a day. Rest of channels are on 9 hours a day.

Lance Thebodeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really is a shame more people didn't give them a chance..... So little out there for information it's trial and error learning.

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I don't think these lights have enough blue led power imho. I'm wanting to turn them up to achieve more par but can't. Only way to do this is move white lights up but I don't want to since its very white already at 30 percent. With this, they could have easily put more blue lighting into the unit. But that is my opinion.

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light is fantastic. The marketing that cobalt did was a complete failure. When I shopped for mine, the only info I could find was them talking about the design and loved talking about the quiet fans. They would say nothing about par testing or its ability to grow coral which is its main purpose. They should have given them to prominent reefers for review.

Jammie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine a year ago. I love it. I got it on sale from BRS for 499$ The application could be ALOT better but it works and is a great light.

Jammie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel it could have more presets for lighting schedule. It takes a lengthy time to make your own in my opinion. Also I can only download it onto my phone and can't download to my tablet.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem I found is that once you turn on an effect (moonlight/clouds) on a program, you can't remove it, you have to delete the program and create it again.

Other than that, I found programming simple :)

Screenshot_20200413-214007_angelLED.jpg

Mppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running these lights for months, I have two. They're great! For those sceptical of their performance, I run a mixed reef with SPS and these are running at roughly 60% on my 80 and I'm likely turning them down a little bit more. I don't have a par meter but everything was growing for months in my 40 with one. Acros seem to have no issue under it in my experience. If you missed these for $400 on brs it was truly a loss

20190604_200942.jpg
Hello there..it's been a couple of years, but are you still running these lights? Reason I ask is I've been running mine for a couple of years and one of the fans putted out on me (no response from Cobalt yet I just emailed them yesterday). I don't know how to open up the light if those plastic covers on top of light have screws underneath of them or light snaps together? Curious if you've had to replace anything on yours and if so how to take it apart.

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there..it's been a couple of years, but are you still running these lights? Reason I ask is I've been running mine for a couple of years and one of the fans putted out on me (no response from Cobalt yet I just emailed them yesterday). I don't know how to open up the light if those plastic covers on top of light have screws underneath of them or light snaps together? Curious if you've had to replace anything on yours and if so how to take it apart.
I had this light and took it apart, just uses knife or something to remove those small tabs on the top, they’re just like stickers. Under are screws and the whole top plate comes off

Mppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this light and took it apart, just uses knife or something to remove those small tabs on the top, they’re just like stickers. Under are screws and the whole top plate comes off
Thanks for the response. May I ask what sort of maintenance you had to do for light?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. May I ask what sort of maintenance you had to do for light?
Cobalt will not sell parts, I asked. They say it is a liability issue. Just bought 2 this year for $375 and $350. Two for the price of one Kessil, have a backup if needed, or spare parts. The first one stopped working first week, I contacted seller on ebay and was replaced with a new one. I have just asked him if he can get replacement parts for these lights, will let you know. I also love this light, not the same as Kessil but close enough.

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didnt really HAVE to do any maintenance, i kind of just want to open it up out of curiosity. but when i did there was some dust that i just cleaned out near the heat sink/fan

Mppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just in case someone runs across maintenance on this light in the future. I followed the video in taking it apart and noticed the fan that stopped working when I spun it was hitting the plastic covering/frame it was in which caused friction for light to shut it off. I pressed the middle of it and there was some play so when I pressed it down and it spun as smooth as the other, but would pop back up after spinning with my finger for a few spins. My wife nosied in and noticed there is a circular sticker on the under side of the fan (you have to remove fan as shown in the video above to see this sticker). Under this sticker reveals metal screw type piece that holds fan in place with a very small white gasket/oring that snaps around this screw to hold fan in place. I should note we first looked at the working fan and the non-working fan did not have this so my first thought was oh great it could be anywhere. We're unsure how it came off non working fan with a sticker over it, but it was wedged in one of the circuit boards crazily enough so we put it back on, put back together and it worked as new all day today.

Jamezanity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Any update on this c ray light? I am trying to download the app on my iphone but I can’t find it on the app store. Any same issue or help to run this fixture?

Mppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on this c ray light? I am trying to download the app on my iphone but I can’t find it on the app store. Any same issue or help to run this fixture?
Yes actually the app is called Keloray per Cobalt.

Attachments

• 9BEAE62A-CB6F-4F97-8DF6-BDDB6298C2ED.png
    9BEAE62A-CB6F-4F97-8DF6-BDDB6298C2ED.png
    237.5 KB · Views: 34

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 156 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.5%
Back