Cockerel wrasse with other wrasse

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’ve been looking around at different fish for a final show piece fish, changing from wrasses to other fish like clingfish, blennies ect.. I looked on live aquaria and on DD there’s a cockerel wrasse (Pteragogus enneacanthus).
I was wondering:
- Do they get on with other wrasses (Fairy wrasse, Leopard wrasse, Halichoeres wrasse, ect..),
- Do they sleep in the sand or mucous cocoons,
- Are they hard to come by,
and have you had experience with them, along with are they coral safe. I can’t find anything online about them but they’re nice looking wrasses

More specifically for the wrasse I have are:
- BSLW (Shes .5-1” and in a grow out tank with the naoko)
- Naoko fairy (2”)
- Scott’s wrasse (3”)
- Jade wrasse (4”)
- Lubbocki (Cebu = 2-3”, Indonsesian = 1.5-2”)
- Radiant (2.5-3”)

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far from what I got is they’re relitavely peaceful however the wrasse that one is with is a larger species of fairy (5-6”) my Lubbock’s and Radiant get 3-4”. How small does the fish have to be so that they don’t go after it because I’ve read they do eat small fish that fit in their mouths, unless that means baby fish

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far from what I got is they’re relitavely peaceful however the wrasse that one is with is a larger species of fairy (5-6”) my Lubbock’s and Radiant get 3-4”. How small does the fish have to be so that they don’t go after it because I’ve read they do eat small fish that fit in their mouths, unless that means baby fish
My Marine Betta also supposedly eats “small fish”, and while he can really open his maw - I can’t see him going after anything other than a large piece of mysis.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Marine Betta also supposedly eats “small fish”, and while he can really open his maw - I can’t see him going after anything other than a large piece of mysis.
That probably would be the case. Although, also with inverts which honestly, I have a Jade wrasse that has gained the hunting skills for most of the inverts I have except snails

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That probably would be the case. Although, also with inverts which honestly, I have a Jade wrasse that has gained the hunting skills for most of the inverts I have except snails
I have a Melanarus and he keeps the inverts in-check. He will definitely nip at any invert I place in the tank, so I need to place them directly in the substrate and bait him away to give them a chance to ‘run for the hills’.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Melanarus and he keeps the inverts in-check. He will definitely nip at any invert I place in the tank, so I need to place them directly in the substrate and bait him away to give them a chance to ‘run for the hills’.
Yeah, that’s the same here. It’s going to get worse because my Jade is just a 4” juvenile.. they get 8” and quick (Atleast mine has gotten to 4” quickly)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that’s the same here. It’s going to get worse because my Jade is just a 4” juvenile.. they get 8” and quick (Atleast mine has gotten to 4” quickly)
I think you’ve safely got a few years yet. I have a quoy parrotfish that’s a good 6.5”. I’m just fortunate that he likes rocks and not snails...

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’ve safely got a few years yet. I have a quoy parrotfish that’s a good 6.5”. I’m just fortunate that he likes rocks and not snails...
Hah, yeah. They’re nice fish but would you really risk the CUC for them - Especially reloading CUC.. that would get expensive fast

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah, yeah. They’re nice fish but would you really risk the CUC for them - Especially reloading CUC.. that would get expensive fast
I have a lot of spiny astrea snails in the rocks, trochus on the glass and conches, urchins and cucumbers on the substrate and all the snails in my sandbed are nassarius. When my melanarus goes to sleep - the nassarius come out to feed.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back