Cold chateo from Algae Barn leading to mortality?

cwjjets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start off saying I live in North Dakota, it’s December, and it’s cold (averaging 0-15 degrees outside).

My first order of 4oz chateo from Algae Barn came with the bag open reeking of dead material with the majority of the algae ball brown and translucent. AB generously re-shipped another 4oz chateo as it met their DOA criteria. However, my second shipment came cold upon arrival (temp gun reading measuring chateo temp ~60 F):
243ACA4B-E157-4CAB-A081-73788A3FEB28.jpeg
Their heating pack was warm and registered 80 F, however the heat obviously was not transferring to the other side of the box. The second batch of algae visibly looked in decent shape - bright green and firm, with only a few strands looking rough:
188548D8-88FD-48C8-A689-DF3129DDAECA.jpeg
But alas after a week in my HOB fuge, it is becoming more and more translucent and unravelled. I am dosing BA’s ChateoGro per instructions as well as running ~4-6 hours of Tunze Eco Chic Refugium 8831 LED light per day. Fuge has light flow (but not zero flow).

Anyone else have either mortality or success after receiving cold chateo? Could there be another issue I am not recognizing or considering?

Also, should I take the chateo out of the fuge after it has become translucent, or will it rebound? This is what it looks like time of posting this thread:
5758BB0D-ACF2-4AF1-84C6-053F43D02BE3.jpeg

Params:
Nitrate - 12-25 ppm
Phosphate - 0.3-0.5 ppm
Salinity - 1.026

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@cwjjets Hi there! You might be able to save the greener pieces from that if you prune the translucent pieces from it. The Chaeto didn't look too bad upon delivery but it is possible it was a bet stressed from being a little cooler and then being put in higher nitrates. Sending you a DM to get your order number :)

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just happen to search for cold shipment from algae barn and this popped up. I just got an order of peppermint shrimp and the water was 48 degrees. I live in North Carolina. Think they need to update their packaging or stop shipping in the winter.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I have some chaeto in a bucket of water, in my basement that is sub 60F. It’s actually been there for a couple months without any flow, circulation, or light beyond ambient from a couple small windows. Literally has not been touched. It was part of an experiment that I have yet to clean up (discard). While it doesn’t look great, it’s not dead yet. I’m genuinely shocked it hasn’t turned into a smelly mush.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just happen to search for cold shipment from algae barn and this popped up. I just got an order of peppermint shrimp and the water was 48 degrees. I live in North Carolina. Think they need to update their packaging or stop shipping in the winter.
Hi there CJ! Our production team is pretty good about packaging orders based upon where they are shipping to. I apologize for the water arriving so cold as we typically don't have too many issues in the winter with temperature aside from those caused my carrier delays. Please DM us your order number and pictures if you have not submitted an AOA on our website already so that we can get you taken care of :)

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not to rain on their parade. I know these guys are good and have stellar reviews.
They had amazing Black Friday sale and I order 3 peppermint shrimps, bunch mangroves and different types of algae shipped to NY.

The ordered has been canceled 3 times. I understand with holidays one week before Christmas shopping is a no, no

But they had 15 days of Dec to get the order out. I think they oversold the sale and don't have product to fill.

If everyone is getting their orders coming in cold I will ask Algae Barn to hold my order till March.
I don't mind waiting.

But shrimps and algae coming it at 50 f that will slowly waste away is not good.

Algae Barn hold my order till it heats up a little.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi there- We do apologize for the delay! It was not caused by overselling but rather 3 separate quality control instances with the macroalgae you have on your order. We do out best to make sure we ship the best possible quality. We sent out those mass emails to those affected so that if they didn't wish to wait, they could reach back out to us, and we could do substitutions or other solutions that worked for them. We also added free pods to your order for the trouble. Sending you a DM now to discuss when is a better time for you to have your order shipped.

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took my a couple tries to get mine to grow really good it would not grow until I added more vents in my sump divider and a power head for more flow. I then had to add a stronger light which caused it to really take off. I throw away about a gallon buckets worth tightly packed every month now.

Always had great luck with AB I just received some pods and phyto with no temp issues but I am Miami so not sure that counts lol.

JoeAquarium39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I found this old post...I just got the package delivered from Algae Barn earlier today. I ordered three different kinds of macro. They all arrived like they were in the fridge because it was lowest 22 - highest 49 where I live.

Did your macro survive through the cold temperature? If so, how did you acclimate your algae?

akbreaux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I found this old post...I just got the package delivered from Algae Barn earlier today. I ordered three different kinds of macro. They all arrived like they were in the fridge because it was lowest 22 - highest 49 where I live.

Did your macro survive through the cold temperature? If so, how did you acclimate your algae?
Hey there, I just received a similar shipment, curious to see how yours turned out?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back