Color LEDs

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our eyes are not able to see hardly any of the light emitted by lower blue-violet wavelengths, so they do not add anything to the 'look' of the light. They have a great impact on fluorescence and emit a crazy amount of PAR. Put tight optics on them to get as much light into the tank as possible.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Put tight optics on them to get as much light into the tank as possible.

Elaborate please that doesn't seem right to me

Tight optics will reduce spread and if I (or others who just use a few of these HV for effect) were to use tight optics that light would not spread and only the corals directly beneath would get any benefit
I was going to use no optics ( which obviously is less efficient) but would not cause any spotlighting but would cast a small amount of light over a large area ie the whole tank

Using them this way may not have a big effect on par but I don't need more par - I'm looking for fluorescent effect

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tight optics will reduce spread and if I (or others who just use a few of these HV for effect) were to use tight optics that light would not spread and only the corals directly beneath would get any benefit
I was going to use no optics ( which obviously is less efficient) but would not cause any spotlighting but would cast a small amount of light over a large area ie the whole tank

Using them this way may not have a big effect on par but I don't need more par - I'm looking for fluorescent effect

Tight optics will reduce the light spill on the glass.

I'll be doing some PAR Testing With and without the Carclo Ripple Wide tomorrow. Will post the results.

The right Bin of Cree XT-E Royal Blue when intense cause a wicked florescent effect in corals. This mixed with some 410-430nm will give you a great bang for the buck.

Bill

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Par measured at 4" under a single 430nm hyper violet LED at 700ma was over 250. At 24", it was approximately 2. Optics are best for violets, and tight ones. If you have more than one on the tank, you'll get the coverage you need.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tight optics will reduce the light spill on the glass.

I'll be doing some PAR Testing With and without the Carclo Ripple Wide tomorrow. Will post the results.

The right Bin of Cree XT-E Royal Blue when intense cause a wicked florescent effect in corals. This mixed with some 410-430nm will give you a great bang for the buck.

Bill

Hey bill you may not remember but I did my build through you - I am using optics on all my LEDs and have no light spill on the glass as tested by a par meter and the fact that I never have to scrape the glass :)
It's been almost three years (this July it will be ) and although I have had great results with the cool white royal blue array i got from you I have curious about the new LEDs out there and the trend toward a more full spectrum and was thinking about trying some HV 430nm LEDs just for fun.
I do think that people adding red or green are wasting electricity but the new violets may have something to offer..

Par measured at 4" under a single 430nm hyper violet LED at 700ma was over 250. At 24", it was approximately 2. Optics are best for violets, and tight ones. If you have more than one on the tank, you'll get the coverage you need.

Hmmm more to think about ...

Anyway bill I was planning on contacting you in the next week or so to get some new optics anyway - I would like to replace some (maybe all) of my old ones with the the carcio optics
If I do decide to add some HV, maybe i will need some optics for them as well, if your testing of the carcio wides prove merit.

Thanks guys

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bill you may not remember but I did my build through you - I am using optics on all my LEDs and have no light spill on the glass as tested by a par meter and the fact that I never have to scrape the glass :)
It's been almost three years (this July it will be ) and although I have had great results with the cool white royal blue array i got from you I have curious about the new LEDs out there and the trend toward a more full spectrum and was thinking about trying some HV 430nm LEDs just for fun.
I do think that people adding red or green are wasting electricity but the new violets may have something to offer..

Hmmm more to think about ...

Anyway bill I was planning on contacting you in the next week or so to get some new optics anyway - I would like to replace some (maybe all) of my old ones with the the carcio optics
If I do decide to add some HV, maybe i will need some optics for them as well, if your testing of the carcio wides prove merit.

Thanks guys

Wow I'm totally surprised on the results...I'll post more specifics on the test after I include a reflector.

Two fixtures same circuit board same drivers measured at 24" with a Quantum Flux Apogee PAR Meter uncorrected.

The one without Carclo Ripple Wide Optics measured a 100 PAR coverage of 34"x50" with a peak PAR in the middle of 155 PAR

The one with Carclo Ripple Wide Optics measured a 100 Par Coverage of 28"x42" with a Peak Par of 490 PAR!!!

The optics reduced usable spread by only 70% but increased Peak PAR by over 300%

Now I'm very curious as these results mimic my tests of one of our Sponsors Chinese Imports, one with Chinese Optics and the other without (early version they no longer offer:)). The one with optics the Peak PAR was about 210% higher. I did not measure 100 PAR Coverage.

Next I'll test reflectors I'm ordering today.

10209___0250___20mm___Ripple_zps1222e02e.jpg

10209_Cree_XP-E.jpg

Carclo Data on their 10209 Ripple Wide

10170___AluminisedReflector_300x300_zps17a67ea7.jpg

10170wideanglereflectorCreeXP-G_zps960c32ce.jpg

Carclo data on the 10170 Wide Reflector

Should be an interesting comparison

Bill

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back