Color LEDs

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't used to being hit with full spectrum.. they should have been acclimated to the change in lighting.. and violet is pretty strong...

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Agreed - i didn't worry about that as these are only supplemental to my main light and are only used for a high noon blast

Anyway the reason I was reading through this thread in the first place was because I plan on adding 12 more LEDs to my main array and was considering using some colored LEDs

After reading everyone's discussion about it, I still see no need to add red or green, simply doesn't make any sense to me, but I am still thinking about the violets??

Would adding 12 hyperviolets make any difference? Or should I just stick to the original plan and add 12 more royals

Oh and to add some color to this thread these zoas have only rb and cw LEDs

zoas413_zpsb6da21f8.jpg

zoasrightside.jpg

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'd be happy with adding hyper violet.. just be careful not to fry everything with them as the violets don't add a lot of visible light. They'll be great for your coral and add fluorescence though.

Nice collection of zoas btw :thumbup: :D

Last edited:

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have the hyperviolets been out and are there a lot of diners using them

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a crapton of people that have them (from talking to LEDgroupbuy), but I am not seeing a lot of people across the forum that are making build threads.

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since this is the only thread i can see that talks about greens and reds would this be a sufficient layout for led's?

Are the 3500k led's needed or shoud they be switched out with a different spectrum? This will be going over a 40 breeder.
IMAG0663.jpg

Last edited:

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need more than one kind of white. Rule of thumb, neutral white, royal blue, and cool blue in a 2:4:1 ratio. Skip red and green, add as much violet as they allow.

I would also highly recommend not getting one of those fixtures and go with something of good quality. IMHO

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need more than one kind of white. Rule of thumb, neutral white, royal blue, and cool blue in a 2:4:1 ratio. Skip red and green, add as much violet as they allow.

I would also highly recommend not getting one of those fixtures and go with something of good quality. IMHO
If i had the money I would but I don't, I can make any layout I wan't and I know nothing of led's I just know my light isnt cutting it as I just tested par and its horrible like 30 in the sandbed and acros are only getting about 120-150 par with a 150w metal halide. I have seen tanks with just blue and white and tank with a couple reds and greens aded to the blues and whites and I can see a difference in color. It is the same fixture reefbreeders uses but alot cheaper? Everyone i talked to loved this exact same light they were very happy with it why would you not reccomend it?

Last edited:

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i had the money I would but I don't, I can make any layout I wan't and I know nothing of led's I just know my light isnt cutting it as I just tested par and its horrible like 30 in the sandbed and acros are only getting about 120-150 par with a 150w metal halide. I have seen tanks with just blue and white and tank with a couple reds and greens aded to the blues and whites and I can see a difference in color. It is the same fixture reefbreeders uses but alot cheaper?
They're still knockoff LEDs. Waste of power, and very inconsistent results.

If you're dead set on that style of fixture, at the very least get one with a warranty like RB.

Last edited:

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're still knockoff LEDs. Waste of power, and very inconsistent results.

If you're dead set on that style of fixture, at the very least get one with a warranty like RB.
Light has a 3 year warranty by there website. Not dead set on anythign yet just know i need a new one soon as in aa couple days.

From there website.
EverGrow warrants that our products are free of defects for a period of three years. We will repair or at our option replace any product that is defective. The warranty covers defects in workmanship and defective components.

Last edited:

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does it ship out from?
China and they cover shipping for the first repair/replacement. after that its my $ to ship back asked about shipping it cost 62$ to ship it back.
Also reefbreeders takes 2 months to get your light from everywhere i have read. The light im looking at is the exact same light asthetically since reefbreeders uses these lights I don't know what they change when they get them but it is also 100$ cheaper then the reefbreeder one.

Last edited:

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're set on it, go for it. Keep in mind that those generic fixtures are what turned people away from LEDs.

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're set on it, go for it. Keep in mind that those generic fixtures are what turned people away from LEDs.
Not set on anything just know I need a new light and 2 months is 2 long to wait for it.
Do you know what reefbreeders changes. As the light looks exactly the same as there all of them even the nova series and I know reefbreedrs gets there lights from china.
Can you reccomend me a light that is 250$ shipped that is full spectrum with greens and reds and violets and is dimmable that will light my 40 breeder?

Also this is from logan who runs reefbreeders
We order in advance, but it is hard to predict the number of orders. The business has been growing rapidly, so we are having minor delays. We are almost caught up, and expect value fixtures to be in stock next week. The main benefit is our warranty, and expertise that Chinese companies do not offer.
So it is the exact same light minus the name stamp. Or am i missing something?

Last edited:

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Supernova is not like the others - it is a modification of my recommendation to them that uses brand LED instead of knockoffs (yes, all the others they sell are not Bridgelux LEDs, as Bridgelux does not actually make '3 watt' LEDs). Their other fixtures are Evergrow rebrands based on a custom LED design, again are based on my recommendations to others and it stuck as their default.

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Supernova is not like the others - it is a modification of my recommendation to them that uses brand LED instead of knockoffs (yes, all the others they sell are not Bridgelux LEDs, as Bridgelux does not actually make '3 watt' LEDs). Their other fixtures are Evergrow rebrands based on a custom LED design, again are based on my recommendations to others and it stuck as their default.
So he buys there nova fixtures and changes all the led's in them?
Either way can you reccomend me a light that has reds greens and violets in the blue white mix that is 250 or less and is dimmable that wont take 2 months to recieve?

Last edited:

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crees are not the only leds that grow corals or look good. Maybe more effecient but ive been using bridgelux for year and half and grow sps just fine so do many others in our club. I do agree that the use of lower kelvin whites is better than high kelvin because they have higher peaks in the reds and such that get drowned out by the excessive blues we use in led fixtures. If using nw you probably dont need reds and greens i think everyone agrees greens are a waste. All whites have plenty of green. The higher kelvin whites dont make reds and such pop as well which is why people use reds to compensate and make the red come out to our eyes.

The best looking light i have seen is the new radion pros. But the full spectrum reefbreeders look good too. So do the full spectrum diys. Technically you could grow corals just fine with just 10k white leds. But they wouldnt have that pop weve all come to adore and want from leds.

Last edited:

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current DIY has 28 RB and 20 CW
I am thinking of adding 6 HV and 6 RB

I probably will run the HV without optics

The question is should i just go 12 HV instead?
Also the ledgroupbuy site says non of the light emitted is in the uv range ie less then 400 nm is this correct?

Trebor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current DIY has 28 RB and 20 CW
I am thinking of adding 6 HV and 6 RB

I probably will run the HV without optics

The question is should i just go 12 HV instead?
Also the ledgroupbuy site says non of the light emitted is in the uv range ie less then 400 nm is this correct?
Do you need to add more whites when adding Hv like this?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 103 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back