Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
High Plains of The Great American Prairie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Colorado People, where you at?!?

I notice we have a number of hobbyists active on R2R in Colorado - while local clubs/orgs like MASC/SCMAS are pretty quiet when it comes to communication (other than classifieds)

Lets get a solid active group going here on R2R for Colorado Hobbyists - regardless of where in the state you are (I guess southern WY people might be interested too). We can use this as an active forum to talk about local reefing/setup frag swaps/etc. No official clubs/orgs or anything like that - just a solid place for us to communicate with one another.

(maybe if we get enough presence we can get a subforum on R2R and a nifty 'Colorado' badge!)

Post here (and follow this thread) if your in CO
and interested in supporting this!

Maybe some simple introduction, like:
First Name
Current Tank(s)
Newby here... yea, I think that the monetization of the hobby in Denver gets in the way of a vibrant community, but I'm game!!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooo cool! Im in colorado! Centennial. How are yall holding up with the storm??? The lights flickered once last night and my heart jumped in my throat for a second!

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooo cool! Im in colorado! Centennial. How are yall holding up with the storm??? The lights flickered once last night and my heart jumped in my throat for a second!
I have a couple of UPS I keep on stand by incase power goes out and they can power air pumps and heaters if needed (with a setting in the 60's keep them a live but uncomfortable). The UPS systems twice alerted to power issues but my lights did not even flicker. I live 1 mile from my work and power is out to half of our building. Xcel outage map shows a lot of outages all surrounding me but luckily, I did not lose power.

Pirate Ben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy that I stumbled across this. I live in Breckenridge and I am currently putting together a build list for my first reef tank. 36x18x18" 50 gal peninsula. I want to know how bad the evaporation can be at 9600'? Not because I'm concerned about refilling my ATO, but how humid of an environment it will create. My wife and I have to be diligent about running our shower fan to prevent ice buildup on our windows in the bedroom. The living area seems to stay condensation free.

Is this even an issue for most people? Any thoughts on glass lids or other strategies to combat this?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy that I stumbled across this. I live in Breckenridge and I am currently putting together a build list for my first reef tank. 36x18x18" 50 gal peninsula. I want to know how bad the evaporation can be at 9600'? Not because I'm concerned about refilling my ATO, but how humid of an environment it will create. My wife and I have to be diligent about running our shower fan to prevent ice buildup on our windows in the bedroom. The living area seems to stay condensation free.

Is this even an issue for most people? Any thoughts on glass lids or other strategies to combat this?
I dont have a humidity issue in my tanks at all, Im in Denver area so a little lower than you. If anything my tanks evaporate pretty quick, less in my big tank due to having a glass lid for my eels. My other tanks are either no lid or fishnet material

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You wont notice any issues, any humidity the tank produces would be welcome imo lol. Definitely no where near worrying about.

Pirate Ben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a humidity issue in my tanks at all, Im in Denver area so a little lower than you. If anything my tanks evaporate pretty quick, less in my big tank due to having a glass lid for my eels. My other tanks are either no lid or fishnet material
I appreciate you getting back to me, that's reassuring. How is it managing your glass lid with salt creep?

I've been doing tons of research on R2R and now that I'm ordering my tank, I finally created a profile. I'm building kitchen cabinetry around the aluminum frame of the tank stand, so it should be interesting. The project won't be done for a couple months. But I'm sure I will put together a page about it somewhere on here.

Anyhow, the community on this site is impressive.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate you getting back to me, that's reassuring. How is it managing your glass lid with salt creep?

I've been doing tons of research on R2R and now that I'm ordering my tank, I finally created a profile. I'm building kitchen cabinetry around the aluminum frame of the tank stand, so it should be interesting. The project won't be done for a couple months. But I'm sure I will put together a page about it somewhere on here.

Anyhow, the community on this site is impressive.
To be honest my glass lid doesnt have salt creep. My main battle is algae growing on the glass from the evaporation and that I have to have my lights closer to the glass than usual because of mounting issues. My acrylic and mesh lid however has the worst salt creep ever!

Pirate Ben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest my glass lid doesnt have salt creep. My main battle is algae growing on the glass from the evaporation and that I have to have my lights closer to the glass than usual because of mounting issues. My acrylic and mesh lid however has the worst salt creep ever!
That's good to know. I'm probably going to be rocking a mesh lid too. I would prefer if the fish would just stay in the tank. But this is the type of thing I'm trying to get ahead of. Does it just require regular rinsing with RODI water? Is there a type of frame or mesh that is more resistant?

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lids on my tanks and the only one I have that has salt creep is because I run an airstone in it constantly. The rest of my tanks don't get the salt creep.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know. I'm probably going to be rocking a mesh lid too. I would prefer if the fish would just stay in the tank. But this is the type of thing I'm trying to get ahead of. Does it just require regular rinsing with RODI water? Is there a type of frame or mesh that is more resistant?
Yes it does

Pirate Ben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lids on my tanks and the only one I have that has salt creep is because I run an airstone in it constantly. The rest of my tanks don't get the salt creep.
An airstone!? That is both familiar and foreign to me. Coming from freshwater, I was shocked to see no one using airstones in the saltwater world. I was quickly convinced that the surface turnover with powerheads was sufficient for gas exchange. I hope to avoid a skimmer (strong refugium and bio is the goal,) but clearly a skimmer would provide more than enough gas exchange.

But tell me more about your airstone.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back