combining a aquarium, terrarium and reef pi.

terrapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since a few weeks im building my own aquarium terrarium. im also using reef pi to control things like humidity and temperature. ill use this thread to keep track of my progress

OP
OP
T

terrapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up the parts I ordered so far. knowing that reefpi sensors work best when using the one-wire protocol I ordered 2 one-wire temperature sensors.

one to measure the water temperature of the fish part and one to measure the air temperature.

I also picked up a submersible humidifier. it's ultrasonic so it basically kicks the water into tiny droplets that will float through the air until they dissolve.

when I got the relays and sensors up and running the basic mainframe stands. after this ill look into how I will use an i2c humid sensor

OP
OP
T

terrapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had some trouble setting up the dash in reefpi itself. for instance it doesnt show temp graphs. but im going to use the adafruit.io dash. i really like the darkmode with the green graphs.

OP
OP
T

terrapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now with the graphs running i noticed something strange, my goal is keeping the water temp around 26 degrees c and the airtemp around the 25 degrees c. when not using the humidifyer and with the lamps turned on this works like a charm. at night when the lamps are off the air cools down a bit. but this is actually okay for the little froggers i want to put in.

but here comes the strange thing. when i turn on the humidifyer. the air cools down like 2 degrees. i espected this because of the evaporation. but the water temp also spikes up. what results in a really uneaven graph related to the both temp readings.

see the graph below. the spike at 7 am being the humidifyer turned on.
Schermafbeelding 2022-03-14 om 11.52.57.png

OP
OP
T

terrapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
today my new humid sensors came in. ill put it in reefpi and keep you posted. after this ill start building the terrarium itself.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back