Combining different methods of carbon dosing?

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Straight to the point, is it possible to use nopox for controlling nitrates along with np bacto balance for phosphate control? Does that make sense on any kind of level or am I missing something? Here's the reason I'm even asking this question...I've been battling high-ish nutrient levels ever since I decided I didn't want to use (clean) filter socks anymore. NO3 levels around 25 and PO4 around .15 - .2 with small amounts of gfo. I'm about to the point of going back to socks. However, I've been reading a ton and watching videos on different methods of carbon dosing and part of me feels like the need to carbon dose is the product of laziness or a system with less than optimal filtration. But then again it seems there are definite benefits from carbon dosing, especially according to Tropic Marin. I would just like to get to the point where I can feed more than I'm feeding now and I would like to be able to do so without a refugium. I bought some nopox a while back and in anticipation of beginning use of said nopox, I did a series of wc's over the past couple weeks and got my no3 down under 12 and po4 to .1. I started dosing .5 ml / daily a few days ago and do not expect results for a while but now I'm second guessing myself after going down the TM bacto balance rabbit hole! I am willing to go back to using socks and upping my maintenance game, which I believe will help me get my no3 back under control. Then I'm thinking I could just go to the TM products for phosphate control and kick the gfo. Does anyone have any insight into this? Like, am I going down the wrong path or is this something that is even feasible? Sorry for the long-winded rambling ... my thoughts are all over the place, which I'm sure is evident!!

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have experience with TM bacteria but have tried microbactor 7 and used microbacter start in the past. Imo these products might help some things, sure made my water smell fresh but didn't have a noticeable effect on parameters (mine where sky high). What ive found to work with nopox is a good old fashioned phosphate remover. There are many that work and are cheaper than gfo with less of a struggle. Products that contain lanthanum chloride are what I use. I almost killed my tangs one time though (overdosed) this stuff is extremely potent and should be filtered in a low micron sock. What I do is mix up about 1ml of brightwells phosphate E in some tank water then pour it threw a 100 micron filter sock. Works everytime, 120 gallon mixed reef.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't have experience with TM bacteria but have tried microbactor 7 and used microbacter start in the past. Imo these products might help some things, sure made my water smell fresh but didn't have a noticeable effect on parameters (mine where sky high). What ive found to work with nopox is a good old fashioned phosphate remover. There are many that work and are cheaper than gfo with less of a struggle. Products that contain lanthanum chloride are what I use. I almost killed my tangs one time though (overdosed) this stuff is extremely potent and should be filtered in a low micron sock. What I do is mix up about 1ml of brightwells phosphate E in some tank water then pour it threw a 100 micron filter sock. Works everytime, 120 gallon mixed reef.
It does seem like if I continue with nopox I'll need some kind of phosphate control. I will keep your suggestion in mind, I've always used gfo. But I'm definitely intrigued with the TM carbon dosing products, as they claim it will be beneficial to feeding your corals. Feed the phosphate to the corals instead of stripping it from the water... sounds good anyways

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself have been looking at the same product. Can't remember if its bottled bacteria or bacteria Food to speak. If you give it a go lmk how it does.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I myself have been looking at the same product. Can't remember if its bottled bacteria or bacteria Food to speak. If you give it a go lmk how it does.
Sure will... once I feel I've got my no3 under control I'm planning on switching to bacto balance for po4, benefits to corals. Unless someone / something changes my mind

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned earlier I have a heavy bioload and dose nopox but forgot to add that I keep a few bags of phosgaurd in my sump. Ive been using this combo for 6+ years with great results and no negative side effects. My tank is in my bedroom so I'm limited on space for hardware to just what fits comfortably inside the stand. Do to this I simply have a large sump filled with Marine Pure balls, Seachem matrix and pond, rock rubble and large pieces of live rock, add a uv filter and skimmer and thats about it.

Alatuf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Klyle, I would like to know what you have decided about combining different methods of carbon dosing! What you mentioned here is in my mind too!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the assertion of NP bacto balance being better for phosphate control is not justified.

There may be scenarios where NP bacto balance is better than other carbon dosing if you might possibly let N or P get too low, but I see no benefit from combining different methods.

There's just no convincing evidence (IMO) that different organics have substantially different positive effects.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Straight to the point, is it possible to use nopox for controlling nitrates along with np bacto balance for phosphate control? Does that make sense on any kind of level or am I missing something? Here's the reason I'm even asking this question...I've been battling high-ish nutrient levels ever since I decided I didn't want to use (clean) filter socks anymore. NO3 levels around 25 and PO4 around .15 - .2 with small amounts of gfo. I'm about to the point of going back to socks. However, I've been reading a ton and watching videos on different methods of carbon dosing and part of me feels like the need to carbon dose is the product of laziness or a system with less than optimal filtration. But then again it seems there are definite benefits from carbon dosing, especially according to Tropic Marin. I would just like to get to the point where I can feed more than I'm feeding now and I would like to be able to do so without a refugium. I bought some nopox a while back and in anticipation of beginning use of said nopox, I did a series of wc's over the past couple weeks and got my no3 down under 12 and po4 to .1. I started dosing .5 ml / daily a few days ago and do not expect results for a while but now I'm second guessing myself after going down the TM bacto balance rabbit hole! I am willing to go back to using socks and upping my maintenance game, which I believe will help me get my no3 back under control. Then I'm thinking I could just go to the TM products for phosphate control and kick the gfo. Does anyone have any insight into this? Like, am I going down the wrong path or is this something that is even feasible? Sorry for the long-winded rambling ... my thoughts are all over the place, which I'm sure is evident!!
Go ahead and start carbon dosing. Don’t let PO4 zero out. When nitrates are under control, use GFO to knock them down. Skip the Bacto Balance because it is unnecessary.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Klyle, I would like to know what you have decided about combining different methods of carbon dosing! What you mentioned here is in my mind too!
Well... I've come to the conclusion that a little nopox everyday (i think I settled in around 5ml in a 40g- 4 fish) combined with periodic use of gfo seemed to get my system pretty stable) I don't even know if the gfo is totally necessary, but then again I have bad habits when it comes to feeding. However, I also recently set up another 40. I've been using elimiNP and my phosphates have seemed to settle in around .4, but that's been over the past two weeks. (Been using elimiNP for about 6 weeks) I'm thinking at some point, I'll have to switch over to bactobalance, but that remains to be seen. Once again, bad feeding habits. So, all in all it seems to me that nopox has done a better job lowering N in the system I'm using it in, while in the other system the elimiNP has kept P from continuing to rise. I haven't tried both in the same system and I can't say for sure which one is better.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back