Combining multiple tanks

sdcosta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I am trying to do is plumb together two separate systems. One is my 180 gallon sps system that is doing well and the other is a 60 gallon tank for my sps frags. The 60 gallon system is not doing as well but I was hoping that with a higher water volume it might benefit from the more stable and established system. What I worry about is messing up my good tank.

The question is how would one go about doing this successfully with the least amount of stress caused to the corals? They are close to each other in proximity so it shouldn't be too hard. I thought about draining the 60 completely, adding new water instead and then connecting it to the 180... would that work out?

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are all the parameters between the two tanks the same? If they are just plumb everything to the same sump/refugium. If they are different get your 60 to match your 180 first.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually not a bad plan... Kinda like a big water change.. just make sure to have ALL the plumbing you even THINK you need before starting down this path.
I recently plumbed a little 14 gallon into my 120. Went well, but needed one extra part that required a trip to the store.
In my case, the little tank only had mangroves, so no harm no foul. With corals and fish in the mix, the stress level would have been exponentially worse..

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well one thing you have to keep in mind is sump overflow volume in event of power failure.
Personally I would prefer having them separate so you don't have a problem that affects both tanks, but that's the first thing I'd think about, what your sump would hold.

OP
OP
sdcosta

sdcosta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump is large enough to accommodate more water so that thankfully would not be an issue. And I will definitely have to make sure I have all the plumbing parts on hand, I am also guilty of forgetting something in the past and having to run out to the store. The only difference in the tanks (other than lighting) really when it comes to parameters is that the 180 has barely detectable nitrate levels while the frag tank sits around 20.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see the nitrates as much of a problem. If you did a largish water change on the 60 the whole system wouldn't creep up much

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20ppm nitrate is not a big deal IMO either.
It would still be hard for me to mess w/ a smooth running 180g to improve a 60g frag tank, but I understand, and a number of people do tie systems.

I just always think of a safety, it's really nice to have a 2nd established vessel in the event of emergency

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, when you bring home some new frags from an outside source, how will you quarantine them? Might consider having the option to isolate the frag tank in your plumbing plan.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back