Combining Ozone with Hydrogen Peroxide Treatments

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be safe to combine ozone with H202 treatments to manage parasites? I've read conflicting articles on the matter. I run a Poseidon 200 approximately 15 hours of the day. I would like to start dosing 1ml/8g 3 x per day and double dose at night between 2am - 6am.

Also regarding administering h202, I heard it's best to dose manually directly from the bottle to the aquarium vs using a DOS which seems strange and also not manageable with work schedule.

Any feedback on the matter would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Would it be safe to combine ozone with H202 treatments to manage parasites? I've read conflicting articles on the matter. I run a Poseidon 200 approximately 15 hours of the day. I would like to start dosing 1ml/8g 3 x per day and double dose at night between 2am - 6am.

Also regarding administering h202, I heard it's best to dose manually directly from the bottle to the aquarium vs using a DOS which seems strange and also not manageable with work schedule.

Ozone like UV will break down the stabilizers and I do not support Peroxide as method for treatment as its often a short cut that prolongs the time to truly treat parasites.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s “safe” but you MUST control the dosing. Both ozone and peroxide are oxidants and will combine effects. You cannot mix these without an accurate residual oxidant testing. I use DPD tests for ozone and a proprietary dip strip for peroxide. I don’t believe that the DPD tests works for peroxide, but it does work for ozone and chlorine oxidizers.

Here is the issue that most people miss: dosing ANY oxidizer is a dynamic process. The amount of unreacted oxidants available to kill parasites is based on the amount or refractory organics in the water. Each tank is different in this regard, plus the organic level changes as oxidants are applied to the water, so the dose must be adjusted over time.

If you read, “add X amount” of an oxidizer, either ozone, chlorine or peroxide to a tank, the person writing that simply does not understand how oxidants work in aquariums.

Ozone and chlorine is more often indirectly controlled by measuring ORP. I’ve never tried that with peroxide though.

In the end, controlling protozoans with oxidants is a tricky business in that you will find that beneficial bacteria will be harmed before the theronts will be. It can be a component of a full process of “ich management” but isn’t very effective as a standalone treatment for active disease.

Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back